Chapter 59

Olivia's POV

Before Nick and Charlie even reach Anya's car, the squeal of sirens pierces my ears. Moments later, a police car screeches to a stop and officers Wright and Davis jump out. They need only a handful of seconds to assess the situation before they rush to me. As they cuff Anya, I'm finally able to get off her, but because of my injured foot, I manage only a step to the side before my leg gives in. Like a child throwing a tantrum, I plump onto the cold asphalt, not bothering to catch myself.

By then Nick and Charlie also return. While Nick uses one hand to support his limping brother, he has a dash camera—the one I had seen installed in Anya's car—securely tucked in his other hand.

"That's not yours." Anya struggles to free herself, but she's not strong enough. All she does is force officer Davis to tighten his hold.

Once Nick hands the camera to his father, both officers head toward the car. I don't allow my gaze to wander until I see for myself how the officers ensure that Anya is securely locked inside the back of the police car. Then I finally let out a long breath.

It's over.

A strong arm slips around my shoulders, so I look to my side and find Samuel crouching beside me. The smile radiating off his lips tells me he's thinking the same thing I am. We finally did it. We found the driver from the hit-and-run I was involved in, and we finally had her arrested.

"You coming, Liv?" Nick jogs to my side while eyeing the Head Guardian, who has been wordlessly watching the arrest.

Instead of letting Nick help me up, I glance at the red-haired woman as well. Eliza and Lucien are already standing on either side of her; silently waiting for what we know is about to follow.

"You go ahead." I turn back to Nick and smile up at him. "I have to take care of something first."

Nick opens his mouth to protest, but once again Charlie stops him. "Nick," he calls out while leaning down to grab the crutches I used to stop Anya. "Let's give Olivia and... her friend a moment."

Nick, however, continues to keep his hand extended toward me. "You're sure you don't need my help?"

"I'm sure. Thank you, Nick. For everything."

Nick purses his lips but slowly stands up. He turns around and takes his first step away when he suddenly spins back to me. "How did you know about the dash camera?"

"Not right now." I ignore the way Samuel tightens his arm around my shoulders and continue to smile up at Nick. "I'll tell you after this is done."

Nick hesitates for another moment and then follows Charlie to the police car parked in the middle of the road twenty-five yards away from where I'm sitting.

Only once all the humans are far enough I grit my teeth and with Samuel's help climb onto my feet. While my entire body feels like I've been through an all-day military training, I don't want to face the Head Guardian while sitting on the ground. Not when I know what is about to follow.

With Samuel's arm now wrapped around my lower back, I turn my back to the humans to ensure none of them will be able to see my face.

"I cannot believe this." The Head Guardian clicks her way around Samuel and me. She stops a couple of steps in front of us, while Lucien stops beside Samuel and Eliza beside me. "Lucien Clarke, you managed to get your own charge incriminated without once revealing our existence. I would not believe it if I had not seen it with my own eyes."

Lucien inclines his upper body in a theatrical bow, which the Head Guardian rolls her eyes at. The red-haired woman then raises her hands and presses her fingers against her temples, as if to ward off an oncoming headache.