Chapter 38

Olivia's POV

"Olivia?"

I glance down the bus to find Brooke sitting on one of the double seats and waving me over. A loud, exasperated sigh comes from behind me, but since we're on a semi-packed bus I can't stop and question Samuel what's bothering him. Instead, I shoot him a quick glance and then use the surrounding poles for balance until I reach Brooke's side.

"Who was that?" Brooke asks as I sit next to her and Samuel positions himself right beside me so that his right hand is resting on the back of my seat. "The guy you hugged before you got onto the bus?"

"He's just a friend." I breathe out in relief when I gather that Brooke didn't recognize her own cousin. The last thing I want to do is to explain what is going on between Nick and me; especially because of the darkening energy radiating off Samuel. "How come you're taking the bus? Did something happen to your car?"

"The stupid thing broke down a week or two ago, and it's still in the workshop," Brooke says.

"I've never actually seen your new car before, have I?" I scroll through my memories but come up empty. "What does it look like?"

"It's a car." Brooke flicks her hair off her shoulder.

I wait for her to add anything, but she remains tight-lipped. "Is anything new going on with you? A new boyfriend I don't know about?"

"No." Brooke snaps her eyes to the window beside her.

I have no idea why she's hiding the fact that she and Weston are dating, but before I can ask her, Samuel clasps my shoulder.

"Leave it," he says without really looking at me. "Count to three."

I glare at him, but because he refuses to meet my eyes I turn back to the front and force myself to remain silent for the rest of the bus ride. The moment the three of us get off the bus, Brooke excuses herself. With nothing but a quick wave, she runs down the sidewalk and rounds the corner onto our street. Instead of following her, I remain rooted to my spot and turn toward Samuel.

"What's your problem?" I ask. "You've been frowning for the entire bus ride, so there's obviously something bugging you. Is it still about Nick?"

"It's not him." Samuel shakes his head and averts his eyes.

"Then what is it?"

"Nothing."

"It's obviously not nothing." I cross my arms in front of my chest. "Tell me what's wrong."

Samuel continues to keep his eyes on the surrounding street before he snaps them over to me. The dark edge in his caramel gaze makes me want to edge a step back, but I force myself to remain still.

"It's everybody," he hisses. "I want to be alone with you, but there's never a right moment. You're always surrounded by humans. It's getting—"

I don't allow him to finish. Instead, I grab the front of his shirt and pull him down so we're almost on eye level. I hesitate for a single second before I rise to my tiptoes and press my lips against his. It's nothing but a quick peck, but that doesn't stop the big smile, which crooks my lips when I pull back to look into his wide eyes.

"We're alone right now."

It's all I need to say before Samuel sneaks his arms behind my back and tugs me flush against his body. My breath hitches and I part my lips just as he leans down and captures my lips with his. My peck from before is nothing compared to the fireworks that weaken my knees right now. For the life of me, I can't bring myself to care about what I must look like to random humans passing by. The only thing I know is that I don't want the kiss to stop.