Chapter 27

Olivia's POV

I keep my eyes focused on the building at the end of the street while trying to forget about Samuel's watchful eyes scanning every inch of my body. We are walking down the street, making our way to the police station, so I can report the partial license plate I remembered.

"Stop being such a creep." I glare at him. Just because I didn't go to the hospital as he wanted, doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly collapse.

A man in his late forties, who is standing with his phone pressed to his ear, looks at me like I just told him that I'm being haunted by a ghost, but I just smile at him and focus back on the police station at the end of the street.

Five steps away from the front entrance I press my toes into the tips of my shoes and stop. I whirl around and scan our surroundings. Countless cars are parked on both sides of the road, while at least two dozen people are strolling up and down the busy street. Which one of them is it?

"What are you doing?" Samuel stops beside me.

"I've been feeling like we're being watched ever since we got off the bus." I continue to sweep through the street, yet no matter where I look no one seems suspicious enough.

"I told you we should head to the hospital first." Samuel grabs my hand and begins to pull me away from the police station.

Before he can complete a full step, I tear my hand out of his hold and head into the police station. This time I don't need to ask for directions and instead make a beeline for officer Wright's desk. Yet the officer is nowhere to be found.

"Olivia?"

I turn in the direction my name came from, but instead of officer Wright, I'm met with officer Davis's curious eyes. He detaches himself from what I assume is his desk and makes his way to me.

"Wright isn't here," he says. "He was called to the hospital because of his son."

"Nick?" For a moment I forget why I'm here. "Is he okay?"

"Not Nick. His younger son, Charlie."

"Oh." I feel a little bad for the wave of relief that floods my body, but I push the unwanted feeling down before it can distract me. "Is it anything serious?"

"I'm not sure. Since Wright is the only parent the two boys have, he immediately rushed to the hospital. But what are you doing here?"

"I'm here because I remembered something else about the accident. I now know both the car's color and a part of its license plate."

"Really?" Davis's almost invisible eyebrows shoot up. He grabs a pad and a pen from Wright's desk and scribbles down every detail I tell him. "I'll tell the guys upstairs to match the partial license plate with the description of the man you gave us."

Davis then leaves, and because I don't have any other business here, I turn around to leave as well. Samuel's next words, however, nail me to my spot.

"I was right," he says with a smug grin splattered across his lips. "You don't need to hurt yourself to bring back your memories."

"That's not—" I'm about to disagree when I realize it's exactly what happened. I didn't hurt myself, yet I still remembered a quick part of the accident. "It's just an abnormality. Yes, that's it."

Because we're still inside the police station, I keep my voice low and try not to move my mouth too much. After all, the last thing I want is for a police officer to question who I'm talking to.

"Olivia?"

I turn to the entrance of the room where my eyes land on Mrs. Davis. She is making her way in between the numerous desks while carrying a red and black cube-shaped lunch bag in both of her hands.