Chapter 5: CARING FOR A SLAVE

The chirping of birds wakes Nicholas the next morning. He sits up on the bed, furrowing his eyebrows. What happened the previous night? In an instant, his eyes widen.

Adelaide!

He quickly gets down from his bed, freshening up in a space of 10 minutes, before bolting to the door. The maids, that are on their way to wake him up, are shocked when they see him dressed and ready. Is there something chasing him out this morning?

"The King and Queen would like to have you at the hall for breakfast," the first one says, both of them bowing.

"Tell them I am in no mood to share the same room with them. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to clear my head."

"Your highness wait!" the maid begs. Nicholas sighs so heavily, everyone around can tell he's getting irritated by them.

"At least tell us where you are going, so that the king or queen don't send people to spy on you."

The familiar statement makes Nicholas turn around; it's Maria. He gives her a faint smile, "I am going to a new welder I found out about. I want to test his weapons while hunting today."

He winks to her, Maria doing the same without anyone noticing. "Very well your highness," she bows with the other maid beside her.

Nicholas turns around, heading to the stables immediately. "Your highness," a young boy greets.

"Ah! Frederick, where is your father?" he asks, grabbing a cloak hanging by his horse, before saddling up.

"He will be here by the time you return. He had some things to attend to," the boy bows.

"Alright. Remember do not hesitate to tell me if you need anything."

"Yes, your highness." Nicholas nods at him before mounting his horse and riding off a bit faster. He gets into the capital's town taking the same detour as last time into the forest so he can get into the rural town, a place where no one recognizes the royal family unless they're wearing a crown or any attire symbolizing it. Nicholas is wearing a simple tunic under his cloak with a pair of black pants; a common attire. He hurries through the streets, buying porridge with chicken and rice, before heading back into the forest and straight to the stream. However, he is disappointed when he does not see Adelaide there. The prince waits by the stream for a while but when it is clear she will not show up, he heads back to the horse. Carefully putting the meal inside the sack, by its rear. He gets on his horse, riding away from the stream. In a few minutes, he is out of the forest behind a familiar household. He hides his horse right before the end of the forest, behind a large tree. Nicholas then quietly takes steps away from the house, towards the animal barn, quickly slipping inside.

"Adelaide," he calls in a whisper but doesn't hear an answer. He walks around, searching every corner, but it is obvious she's not there. Leaving the barn, he stealthily peaks through the windows of the house before stumbling across a sign in front of it; none of her masters are home. Nicholas heads over to the farmland and spots her picking the grains. He smiles, walking down the field to meet her, but he furrows his eyebrows when she turns around, backing him, she still had not noticed his presence.

"Is that blood?" he mutters to himself, walking further.

Adelaide quickly turns around when she hears footsteps. Nicholas' heart drops on seeing her. Her porcelain skin is so pale and her lips are turning blue.

"Addy," he calls, taking a step forward, but she retreats. "You shouldn't be here. My masters will come back anytime," she says, her lips quivering. "Who whipped you?" he asks, walking towards her, but she shakes her head.