Chapter 13: MEMORIES(5) -MEETING AGAIN

Prince Nicholas was getting restless, as he paced back and forth. His horse's nickering not helping. The fear that he would never see her again haunted him...he wanted to see her again, no...he needed to see her again. Nicholas was by the hill that had the stream insight, since morning, waiting for the mystery lady to show up. It was late afternoon but he still saw no sign of her...hence his restlessness.

The snapping of twigs and crushing of dry leaves drew his attention. He turned to the sound, his heart feeling at ease when the beauty he yearned to see was in his sight. Nicholas couldn't contain the smile that formed on his face. Adelaide walked up to him and bowed.

"Your highness."

"I'm glad you decided to come"

She decided to come? More like she had no choice but to come.

"If his highness would be so kind to spare my life." Adelaide knew she had nothing to live for but she couldn't help but feel her life would change for the better.

Nicholas frowned, "Spare your life?"
"My master's son didn't mean the words he said about you...neither did I"

Ah! Now he understood, but this isn't the side of her he wanted to see. He cleared his throat, "I will spare you."

"Thank you, your highness-"

"If you'll be my companion when I come out to this side of the kingdom." The young woman looked up at him in shock...be his companion?

She quickly bowed her head again, "I agree to escort you when-"

"Not escort," he cut her off walking to her. Nicholas held her chin, lifting her head to see the beautiful face that kept him awake all night.

"Look at me," he said when she had averted his gaze. "The same way you talked to 'servant man', I want you to talk to me that way."

Was she dreaming? No, was he dreaming? How could she possibly talk to him like an equal?

"Adelaide," he called when she was quiet for too long.

"I'll try my best your highness, but I'm not sure I can promise that because you are of the higher status-"

"I don't care"

"That's how I've lived all my life. It's impossible to just change immediately."

Nicholas sighed but nodded. She was right...she is used to being looked down on and definitely not used to getting attention, especially from a prince.

"I understand. Come I got you something." Adelaide hesitated, the prince sensing it.

"It's the least you can do for not agreeing to talk to me as 'servant man'"

She could get in trouble, but she couldn't tell him that...he would stay behind like last time and put her in more trouble.

"Alright"

They walked up to his horse and he grabbed the small sack hanging by the side of it, giving it to her.

"It's probably a little cold by now because I was waiting for a while"

Adelaide looked inside and saw it's a bowl with a lid...the aroma making her mouth water.

"I know they don't feed you well"

The woman cleared her throat, closing the sack. "You're wrong, they do...and I'm not hungry"

"Why defend them?... They don't care about you"

And he does? This man needed to be more careful with his words. They could sweep any girl off her feet.

"I'm not defending them."

"Alright, I'll take it back."

Adelaide's stomach yelled in protest, making Nicholas turn back around, a chuckle, leaving his mouth.

Why would her body betray her like this?

The prince took her hand and pulled her gently along. They went down the hill and Nicholas sat by the stream, tapping the space beside him. She hesitated, looking around, before sitting by him, making sure she looked anywhere but at him.

"You should eat before you go back." He brought out the small clay pot from the sac, placing it on her lap.

She slowly nodded before taking the spoon from him, opening the pot. She knew it was rice! One of the most expensive meals in the kingdom. Adelaide glanced at Nicholas who nodded at her with a small smile on his face.

The young lady took a spoon of the food. Her taste buds had never been blessed before! All she's had were dry grains and half-rotten fruits. A tear left her eyes as she took another bite...she should not get used to this taste, but it didn't mean she could not savor the moment. Adelaide continued eating slowly, the spoon hitting something hard under the rice. She moved the rice around uncovering 4 pieces of beef...she'd never had meat before!

Nicholas smiled as he watched her slowly putting one piece of meat in her mouth, her eyes giving away the fact that that was her first time eating it.

"Are you your master's only slave?" he broke the silence.

She stopped eating, nodding at him. He gestured for her to keep eating which she did without hesitation.

"I thought people would treat their only slave better since they have no more to depend on if you get sick...I guess I was wrong."

Adelaide didn't know if she was supposed to respond or just keep eating...why was the world so confusing?

"Please keep eating"

She nodded, enjoying her meal.

"How old are you?" The woman slowly plucked a certain number of grass blades till it reached her age in years.

"I see." He knew she was young but didn't know how young...would she get scared if she knew he was 24? The age difference is not bad for him, but what would she think?

Nicholas is snapped out of his thoughts when he hears the pot closing...she had finished eating.

"Here," he handed her a skin of water. She bowed her head before taking it from him, drinking it up.

"Thank you, your highness."

He smiled, standing up, extending his hand for her to take. Slowly but surely, she took it, getting up, freeing her hand once she was stable.

The prince took Adelaide on a walk, asking her different questions about her, including her birthday, what she likes to eat, her favorite color, what she's always wanted to do and some personal questions. She did not dare to ask him any but he talked about himself as well. Adelaide could not understand why this man was showing her attention. Even after that day had ended, he kept coming back to see her, making her miss him everytime he left. She had grown used to his presence over the 6 months they had spent. That is why it was hard for her to get used to his absence when he had gone to his sister's kingdom during the winter.

 Adelaide didn't know what to make of how she felt towards him. She knew it was wrong and it could get her killed, but she didn't know what to do. Her heart was going against every single brain cell that told her to forget him. He is a prince that will have to marry a royal someday. The more she holds on, the harder it will be to let go. That was why she decided to let go, forget him and move on with her hellish life. He was just being kind to her out of pity, thinking something more of it is treason and would just make him laugh at her...at least that is what her brain told her.

She was doing a good job, trying to forget him, but he came back...the man that moved her came back and made it clear he was here to stay. She should've told him that he should leave her alone, that he should not love her after he confessed, but she kissed him, she let him touch her, she let him love her...the price will be paid, she knows. But for now, let her live in her dream for a little while longer.

SUPRISE UPDATE!

SEE YOU TOMORROW! :)