Chapter 21: COUPLES

"Princess," Nicholas furrows his eyebrows, extending his hand to touch her face, but Adelaide bows her head immediately.

"Your highness," she greets, trying to get her sniffles under control. He places his hands on her shoulders, lifting her upper body for her to stand upright and look at him.

"What happened? Why are you crying?" he asks in a voice that is soothing beyond measure, but Addy knows better than to give in. She removes his hands from her shoulders, bowing again.

"Please return to your seat at the celebration your highness, if I were to be caught I don't know how my life would end-"

Adelaide gasps when she feels Nicholas pull her as he walks away. "Your highness, please," she begs, following him without a choice. What will people say if they see such a sight? She could be dead before the week runs out!

The prince is having none of it today! He was behind Charlotte's decision to bring commoners to her birthday just so he could be with his princess. He waited for weeks just to see her and she has already cried twice today! It was God that restrained him from walking over to the booth and ending the guard that pushed her when she was absent-minded. He walks into the castle through the back, lifting her from the ground, and carrying her upstairs though she struggled for him to let her go. Adelaide's heart is pounding, fresh tears prickling from her eyes, she cannot win against this man. He is big and muscular compared to her baby weight and size.

"Please," she whispers, her tears, soaking his shoulder. The prince is only making it harder for her to let him go. He cannot stay with her forever! He will not stay with her forever! Why take her heart and shatter it the next day, it's all so wrong.

Nicholas takes her into his chambers, closing the door. He moves to his bed, gently laying her there, lying with her. 

"I cannot be here-"

"Will you just trust me when I say nothing will happen to you?" he asks in frustration, looking at her. She avoids his gaze, looking at his chest, as he's holding her against him. He sighs, caressing her cheek, "Look at me." She obliges, her eyes finding his.

"No one will hurt you, not while I am here. Okay?" She nods slowly before wiping the tears that had left her eyes. He kisses her forehead, pulling her even closer to him, his hand tightly around her.

"Have you eaten?"

"Yes," she replies, feeling her eyes getting heavy. The prince's caress on her skin eases her tight muscles and she struggles to avoid letting her lids fall. Nicholas looks down and sees her dilemma. He shuts his eyes, still caressing her. Adelaide eventually gives in to the fatigue, closing her eyes, and drifting off.

Well into the evening, where the people have been admitted into the castle to continue celebrating, Grace is hidden past the stables in a tower that houses prisoners. She is looking at the lady of the night with disgust. How can someone feel so comfortable wearing such clothing for every man to see?

The chestnut-haired lady is tied up to a chair but confused as to why she is taken hostage. The guard who had done the deed, stands at the door, watching Grace and the whore.

"What do you want, and please don't tell me you are one of those ladies that are mad because their husband spends time with me," she rolls her eyes, glaring at Grace.

"What's your name?"

"Seera,"

"Seera, looking at you I can see why any man will be invested, even my brother, James of Castille."

"So you're the sister of the handsome man who loved our brothel...fitting"

"Loved?"

The lady sighs looking straight into her eyes, "Look if you want your brother to stop taking different women every night, speak with him and not me. I make money from that."