Chapter 38: "NICHOLAS"

Adelaide wakes up to see Nicholas is gone from her side. Going back before sunrise is best to avoid any suspicion. The young woman cannot remember the last time she slept this well, and in the arms of her lover, the father of her baby. Adelaide will be lying if she says she's okay with him leaving before she wakes up, but it is for the best. A knock is heard on the door as she sits up on her bed. In walks the old man she met at the stable months ago, the man that has helped her.

"Good morning. Are you feeling alright?" he asks with a smile.

"Yes, good morning. I apologize for barging in like this and even occupying a room," she says standing up.

"Please don't worry, and please sit. I am happy that I could help the prince in need. He's done so much for us." Adelaide nods, sitting back down.

"I didn't imagine that our meeting again would be under these circumstances, but I am glad our paths have crossed again."

"I feel the same. Is there anything I can do to help out? Like chores-"

"Oh please do not bother yourself. You must have gone through so much with your master. Just focus on resting. My wife will be in later, you can take a bath and have something to eat. His highness dropped a few papers for you to continue learning in case you are bored."

"Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help," she says with a genuine smile.

"You're welcome. I'll be gone for most of the day as I work in the stables but feel free to talk to my wife and ask for anything you need."

The woman nods, Eli, walking out the door, closing it behind him. Adelaide gently rests her hand on her belly, "How are you, my love?"

Within a few minutes, a woman around the same age as Eli walks in with a smile, Adelaide standing up immediately to greet her.

"Oh no, please sit down," the woman gestures, holding a pair of clothes in her hand.

"I'm Anna. I suppose my husband told you about me."

Adelaide nods, feeling a bit nervous. "Don't worry child, you are safe with us. Here is a fresh pair of clothing, you can come with me and I'll show you wear to wash up."

"Thank you, please don't bother yourself, I can wear the clothes I have on now."

Anna frowns a bit, "Dear please, you are not a slave here and you need something cleaner because of your injuries. Here"

Adelaide hesitates but takes the clothes from her, giving her a faint smile, before getting up to follow her.

"The engagement went on without a hitch," the king says during breakfast. Everyone had gathered to have a meal that morning, including the prince. Grace was now sitting beside him since she has the title of queen-to-be, a satisfied yet dissatisfied look on her face.

"Shockingly," Charlotte murmurs to herself, earning a look from her enemy. "Do you despise me that much Charlotte?"

"Is there anything to like about you Grace?" she retorts.

"Charlotte you will respect your future queen," the king admonishes.

"Well father, that simply means I'll have to be beheaded once she's crown queen. Even my dead body wouldn't bend to her wishes"

"It's alright, your majesty. I am used to this kind of treatment from her. I just hope she'll learn as she gets older."

James holds Charlotte's hand, as the young princess is about to stand up and do something rash.

"It's not like the prince did what he was supposed to do," the queen says, looking at her son, who ignores her, enjoying his meal.

"What do you mean? He was at the ceremony," the king replies.