Chapter 34: MOVING ON

Adelaide's face turns pale when she hears his question. Averting her eyes, she clears her throat. "I-I don't know what you're talking about."

"Addy-"

"I'm not pregnant, your highness," she says firmly. Nicholas lets out a sigh, putting his hands on his waist. 

"Leave," Adelaide turns, heading to her mountain of clothes, but the prince holds her arm, dragging her back, embracing him.

She gasps at his actions but fights every ounce of comfort and warmth he gives her, struggling against him. "Let me go!"

"Addy we can make this work, please," he begs, holding her tight. Tears leave her eyes as she hears him, her next words hurting both of them.

"We can't, because I don't love you." She stops struggling when the prince's grip loosens upon hearing her words. Her heart drops when she feels him let go, stepping back to look into her eyes.

"You're lying."

"I'm not."

"Yes, you are"

"I used you, your highness. I am a slave and you are a prince that kept showing me mercy. I used it to my advantage. Now, I have clothes and footwear I can sell to help me get by. Go back to your lavish life-"

"No! I don't care if you used me. Keep using me Addy, I can't let you go, please," he takes her hand but she snatches it away.

"For Christ's sake! I don't love you! Leave me alone! I don't need you anymore!"

This man is definitely making it a lot harder for her. "Look into my eyes and tell me you don't love me." Adelaide hesitates, before looking directly into his eyes, "Your highness, I don't love you, leave me alone."

Nicholas lets out a shaky sigh, his eyes red, nodding.

"I apologize for forcing myself on you, Adelaide." He turns around, walking away, the sight of his retreating body, bringing her to tears. The poor woman squats down there, crying her eyes out. She had just lied to the love of her life. Her hand goes to her belly, "I'm sorry I couldn't tell him you exist, please forgive me."

Adelaides considers chasing after him, telling him she did not mean any word she said, telling him that they have a child together, telling him that she's scared of what might happen, but she can't. All it will do is get her and her baby killed.

Night falls and the dinner table is as silent as a graveyard. From the expression on Nicholas' face, Grace can tell Adelaide did exactly what she told her to do.

Queen Mira clears her throat, "Nicholas-"

"Don't talk to me."

King Alexander glares at his son, "Nicholas you will not-"

"Do you know what your wife did father? She knocked me out because yet again, I cannot remember anything after I left with Princess Sabina last night. Only for me to wake up this morning to see this thing in my bed. No offense James."

"None taken brother." James looks at his friend with a concerned look, he has not seen Adelaide all day and his face shows something negative went down.

"Nicholas, you need to know-"

"I said not another word!" he exclaims, standing up. Grace stretches out her hand to comfort him but he slaps it away, "Don't forget my warning from earlier. I will kill you"

"NICHOLAS!" the king exclaims.

The Prince glares at them with his eyes red, from holding back his tears. "Excuse me," he walks out of the dining hall and up to his room, slamming the door.