Chapter 42: THE KING'S CHAMBERS

"Leave me alone brother, I have had enough for one night," Grace says to James, who is leaning against the door to her chambers, sending daggers her way.

"Clap for yourself, Grace." James' words making Grace annoyed. What is he trying to accomplish here?
"I told you before. You are wasting your time with me-"

"So you think Nicholas will magically forget the death of his lover and child, and run into your embrace of marriage?"

Grace grits her teeth in anger, he is right. She will most likely die by the prince's hand.

"What were you expecting-"

"I DON'T KNOW!" She yells at her brother in anger, before huffing in disbelief. "I honestly do not know," she says in a lower, but depressed tone.

"That's why you should have thought it through! Are you so obsessed with being the future queen that you'd rather-"

"I'm not obsessed James, watch your mouth"

"Then what do you call what you've just done. You knew, for over 4 months, that the prince was in love with someone else. But you couldn't stand it-"

"I am in love with him too!" she cuts him off in anger, tears escaping her eyes as she glares at him. James looks at her in shock...what did she just say?

"You expect me to believe that?"

"You have always hated me since we were young."

"Because you always hated me! You always stabbed Nicholas and me in the back!"

"It was all for his attention," she confesses in pure sadness as she recalls all the times Nicholas has ignored her, all the times he has made it clear that he does not like her. How could the world be so cruel to her?

"Have you ever heard of confession Grace? How about telling him how you feel instead of reporting him!"
"It's not too late"

James lets out a humorless laugh, "What?! You think confessing now will change anything? You have marked yourself for death Grace and there's nothing you can do about it. Seeing that this would probably be your last night, I hope it was worth it."

"James!"

Her brother ignores her, walking out of her chambers and banging the door.

The king furrows his eyebrows, wiping his face with his hand before taking a deep breath watching his daughter carefully...ah, so troublesome.

"Charlotte-"

"Your son has been imprisoned, father!"

"I know, it was the queen's call." Charlotte cannot believe this man! "You're telling me that mother did the right thing?!"

"I know what happened Charlotte. Nicholas knew better than to fall for a slave-"

"She's pregnant!"

"Even worse. What is her punishment? Knowing your mother, it is probably death," he shrugs, only making his daughter angrier. "What is wrong with you father?! How can you allow your wife to kill your grandson-"

"We sent him countless suitors to get an heir from, yet he decides to find solace in a slave?! I heard she even confessed that the child isn't his, anyway. That's not my grandchild."

"How could you let your son, the future king-"

"THAT'S WHY I WANTED YOU TO BE OUR FUTURE!" The king yells at his daughter in frustration. He's always had a special place in his heart for Charlotte and did not even know why. Maybe it is her character and the way she carries herself, or the fact that she did not like consolation since she was a baby. The king wants her to be the future of their kingdom, but it's obvious her love for her brother cannot compare to his wishes.