Chapter 15: SURPRISE

For days she has been crying and today is no different. What will become of life if her fears come true? The heart-clenching inevitable refuses to leave her mind. From dusk to dawn Adelaide declines to fathom how she will live if her master dies. Grayson will surely have his way with her, something her mind cannot bear to comprehend. Her master's wrinkles show that she is growing weaker, but the day she collapsed opened Adelaide's eyes; God may take her sooner than later. The young lady has never vented her worries or anger to anyone, thus making her depressed all the more. Was she even supposed to be alive? What is her purpose on this earth? Did she destroy a nation in her past life? These questions have been haunting her since that day. Running away after her master breathes her last is simply not an option. She will be caught, whipped, and dragged back to Grayson, her worst nightmare.

"Adelaide"

A gasp escapes her lips as she turns to see who had snuck up on her. "Master," she bows her head, letting out a quiet sigh of relief.

"You have done all the work there is to do here, go out and rest for today"

For today. If there is something that distinguishes her master from Grayson, it is crystal clear to anyone, even a passerby; compassion.

"I will stay in the barn until you need any -"

"No child, please go out for today. My time will come any moment and I cannot trust Grayson to take it a bit easy with you."

Adelaide bows and thanks her before leaving the field, back to the barn, fresh tears dripping from her face again. Why should this happen to her of all people? Hasn't she suffered enough? She's had to have her mark replaced 3 times! Although this has been the nicest master she has had. In fact, this woman clearly knows nothing about treating a slave. It is half and half for her. Sure she is treating Adelaide like this so as to give her enough energy to serve Grayson, but it is better than other masters who whip their slaves day-in, day-out. Her master is smart, she knows that doing such to their only slave will be a big liability for them.

Adelaide wipes her tears as she goes into the forest, her feet taking her to the stream under the sunset. The heart beating in her chest seems to have gone on overdrive because the lady can't help but wonder what was planned this time. Her heart instantly stops when she sees the man that has given her nothing but comfort and love. The white Bastian shirt and brown pants that he's wearing, fit his body perfectly, his collarbone-length hair is perfect, he is perfect. Nicholas turns around his eyes meeting hers, her breath, stolen immediately. How can someone look so charming, perfect, flawless? It still surprises the young lady. He smiles wide, walking to her, meeting her halfway, enveloping her small frame in a hug, kissing her hair. 

"I've missed you," he whispers, her heart, melting instantly. Adelaide wraps her arms around his waist, hugging him back, she has missed this man as well. The prince breaks the hug, using his finger to caress her cheek as he admires her. "You're even more beautiful today." A rush of red fills her cheeks as she turns her head away from his gaze. How does he know exactly what to say? She hears his deep chuckle, making her blush more!

Nicholas hands her the bag that had been on his shoulder. "Here, freshen up at the stream and meet me back here."

Adelaide bows her head at him before taking the bag, heading to the stream immediately. She opens it to find a pair of new sandals and a beautiful blue silk dress. Silk is very expensive in this kingdom! Would it be okay for her to wear this?

Adelaide takes off her rags and enters the stream washing up her body with the castile soap she found in the bag. She has never used soap before! Even her masters don't have soap! The experience of all these firsts take her sorrows away, at least for now, she could forget the death that knocked on her master's door and enjoy today, this moment.

When she is done, she applies the ointment found in the bag, on her skin and lips.

Nicholas turns in the direction of the footsteps and cannot believe his eyes. The princess in front of him is out of this world. His jaw drops in pure amazement. Just when he thought she couldn't get any prettier, she drops the bomb in his face. Adelaide shifts the weight on her body from one leg to another in pure coyness. The blue off-the-shoulder silk dress hugged her waist but stopped right after her knees, her skin shiny and beautiful. Her strawberry blonde curly hair hangs beautifully, stopping right after her chest. The prince clears his throat recovering before walking up to her, his hands behind his back. He places a flower crown on her head, completing her angelic appearance.

He bends his head to meet her face, their lips a centimeter apart. "You look breathtaking," he says, admiring her face.

"Thank you, your highness." The title will fall off her lips in no time, he wouldn't let that ruin today.

"I'll tie your eyes now, I don't want you seeing the surprise almost immediately." She nods at him in acceptance and the prince goes behind her, carefully tying the black cloth over her, inhibiting her vision, although his eyes can't help but admire her body, she was made for him, he knows it.

Nicholas takes Adelaide's hand, carefully guiding her past the stream but deeper into the forest, somewhere no one would think of coming to by this time of the evening.

Adelaide feels the prince come to halt and she does so as well. Were they at their destination?

She feels Nicholas stand behind her, his hands untying the material that withheld her sight. Adelaide's eyes widen in pure shock, in front of her sits a large tent with fireflies caught in small transparent containers that lightened the entrance. There was a feast awaiting them in the tent, bread, cheese, meat, rice, fruits, drinks, nuts, and corn.

Nicholas has really outdone himself today. What could she possibly have that captured the heart of the Prince of Amaris, most respected in the king's army?

 At first, it seemed like he was toying with her, using her to keep himself company when he came out to this part of the kingdom. But no, he kept coming back, even sought for her on days she was not at the stream. He would risk going to her master's place just to see her. Some will say she has bewitched him, but that fateful day Adelaide had stumbled across the prince, she had nothing on her. Just a slave taking a walk to soothe her pain. It was prince Nicholas that fell for her the moment his eyes met hers. He knew, the moment he saw her, that she would own his heart. That is why he would go to great lengths for her, anything she wanted, he would give her, because all he wants is to see her smile, genuinely smile and be happy. No other can move the prince the way this common slave has. No woman can hold his heart the way this common slave has. No person can bend the knees of the prince except this common slave.

Adelaide is worth every time she invades and clouds Nicholas' thoughts. The mere thought of her would easily calm him down, make his day. He cannot go a night, morning, or afternoon without thinking about her. He does not care at all, he welcomes it, because he has sworn to himself that he will not spend his days with any woman if it is not her.

Adelaide's heart races when she feels the prince wrap his arms around her waist pulling her against his body. The heat from him, and his scent always makes her think of him in a way she should not, but she cannot help herself. The Bastian shirt he's wearing doesn't even help matters, as it reveals the top part of his muscular chest, a sight that makes her clench in pleasure. She closes her eyes when she feels his lips go from her collarbone to her neck and then behind her ear. Her body shivers when she hears his whisper that does nothing to calm down her heat, despite the innocence it bears.

"Happy Seventeenth birthday, princess."

Well, now we all know her age! See you on Thursday! ;)