Chapter 18: PLAN

It takes a while but Clarice gets used to what she is to be doing as the second slave in the household. The labor is divided and rotated among them, the tedious ones, they do together. Adelaide warms up to her almost immediately, as they share stories about what they have been through almost as if they're trying to convince the other they have had it harder.

Adelaide does not hesitate to give her master her full attention, the thought of losing her still terrifying because she doesn't know if Grayson fancies Clarice now or still her.

***

"He does not want me, my queen," Grace says, almost like a complaint to Queen Mira of Amaris.

"I know, that is why I said you should try harder," the woman replies as two servants wash her feet.

Grace is gravely irritated but refuses to show it. She wants Prince Nicholas of Amaris just as much as the queen wants to see her son married with children on the throne, but he is more difficult than she thought.

"You need to stop irritating him, and look for what he finds attractive and inviting in a woman."

How does she expect her to find out about that when her only brother does not even want to talk to her?!

"You can start by visiting the brothel he so dearly loves. Find out the leech that keeps bringing my son back for more. Whatever she has, you must have more."

Grace bows before leaving the queen's chambers. Why did she explain all that like it is such an easy task to accomplish? The prince probably has many leeches that bring him back there!

Her servants follow her once they see her emerge from the chambers heading in a direction best known to them. Grace halts, all of them doing the same, their heads bowed. She turns around and looks at the five women, "You!" she calls, all of them raising their head to her. Grace points at the tan-skinned one with chestnut hair. "Go get me one of the most reliable guards you know, tell him I have an errand that pays handsomely, should he be interested."

"My lady...we're not allowed to interact with-"

"Spare me the excuses. Do you think I don't know that most of you have lovers among them?"

"...Forgive me...my lady, I shall do as you have asked," the woman says in fear of actually being caught.

Adelaide is at the stream taking a bath after washing the load of clothes that were given to her. Grayson has made it clear that he prefers Clarice because this is the type of labor, both of them are supposed to do together. The lady does not care, as she's used to the load and even finishes it early, thus giving her ample time to enjoy the bath with the soap that Nicholas had given her. She sings to herself, gently caressing her skin, splashing water to rinse herself.

A gasp escapes her lips, her heart slamming against her chest when she feels a hand over her waist. She turns immediately, her eyes wide when she sees the prince in front of her. A flush of red invades her face as she turns around, covering her breasts in pure coyness.

"Your highness," she greets. She certainly did not hear him or anything at all and he is even naked!

"You shouldn't be here. Someone can pass by and see you like this, which is treason and can tarnish your image," she explains when he does not reply to her.

"You seem perfectly fine, taking a bath here," his voice deeper than usual, his hand around her waist, tightening, pulling her against him.

"I am just a slave-"

"You're my woman and if anyone should see you like this, I will gouge out their eyes for your body is meant to be admired by my eyes only." A smile tugs at her lips when she hears his words.