Chapter 4: ROYALTY

Nicholas rides back to the castle, meeting Eli in the stable. "You do not seem too happy today unlike before when coming back on days like this," the old man walks to him.

"I accidentally chased someone away. I should've allowed the person some personal space for thought," he says, alighting his horse.

"There's always next time," he smiles at him.

"Here," Nicholas hands Eli a bag. The old man shakes his head, receiving the gift, taking a look inside. There are new clothes and boots for him, a bag of coins for his family, and a warm meal sitting at the top. "What would my family do without you," he says, running a hand through his scanty hair.

"Just wait a little longer. When I'm king, I promise everyone that works here will have enough to eat, drink, and be paid for every work they put in to make this castle the beauty it is," Nicholas' hand rests on Eli's shoulder.

"I cannot wait," he replies, hugging him. "Now, go on. The queen is probably having a meltdown right about now."

The prince laughs, jogging up the rose hill, towards the castle kitchens.

"Your highness," the maids and servants greet as he walks through the kitchens and up the stairs into the main castle. He passes the celebration hall, going up the stairs and into the large hallway.

"Brother," he hears, stopping him in his tracks. He turns around to see a female leaning against the wall, her hands folded. Her brunette hair is tucked behind her ears, resting on her shoulders as she looks at him with a smirk.

"Charlotte," he replies, standing there. She gets off the wall, takes two steps forward, before bringing out her knife, charging at him. Nicholas side steps, grabbing her armed hand, twisting it to her back, causing the knife to slip, his other hand grabbing it just before it could hit the ground as he quickly stands behind her, bringing the knife to her neck. "You lose again," he whispers.

"Not fair!" the young girl exclaims, making Nicholas release her, laughing. "You only just started training Charlotte. You will learn," he encourages, handing her back her knife.

"When I get as strong as you, I will become the general of the king's army," she smiles, bowing her head. "I'll be looking forward to it."

"Pushing that to the side, where have you been?! Mother has been worried," both of them walk forward, heading to the dining hall.

"If I am sleeping in my room, she's worried, If I am in a bath for so long, she's worried, If I am training in the camp, she's worried, If I don't greet her in the morning, she's worried. When is she ever not worried?"

"Don't forget about when you're taking a dump"

"Exactly!" They both laugh. "Anyway, I was out," he simply states.

"Come on brother! I am old enough to know these things!" she pouts. "Charlotte you're fifteen."

"Exactly! Old enough!"

"In a couple more years, I promise," he pats her shoulder.

"You've been saying that since I was ten!" They arrive at the dining hall and the guards open doors, both of them entering.

"James!" Nicholas exclaims in surprise. "Prince Nicholas!" the man greets, standing up and walking towards him. "When did you get here cousin?"  he shakes his hand hugging him before they walk to the table.

"This afternoon actually, they said you had just run away on your noble steed," he chuckles.

"Father, Mother," he greets, bowing his head, before taking a seat by James.