Chapter 31: COURAGE TO TELL HIM

The banquet is definitely 'all that glitters', with gold and royal blue sashes lining the throne room. King Alexander and Queen Mira are sitting on their throne watching and accepting the Respects being paid to them. Mira occasionally whispers to her husband about possible brides for her son that she sees in the room. The ladies invited are definitely trying hard to get her attention for more than ten seconds, it usually means you have left a good impression on her.

Charlotte, unlike the last banquets that have been held over the years, has no man casually speaking to her or asking for a dance, as James' hand seldomly wraps around her waist, and his glares show that she is taken this year and probably for the others to come.

"You're behaving like I'm a piece of cheese you rat"

"I believe you mean mouse, darling," he chuckles, kissing her cheek. "I honestly can't help myself, you look too beautiful today," he takes her hand guiding her through the crowd.

Grace makes her way through the large numbers greeting people with her plastered smile, finally reaching her destination.

"Grace!" One of the ladies dressed in red calls, alerting the others in her discussion group. Grace's cheekbones are aching from her fake smile but she needs to endure it a little longer.

"I can't believe the king and queen have allowed you to practically live in their castle," one of the ladies says, envy and disbelief filling her tone.

"Alice, it is Grace of House Castille we're talking about. She and her brother practically grew up with the royal family; they're like siblings," the girl in red replies.

"You're right Laura, only we are not like siblings," Grace says looking at the ladies.

"Is that so? Does the prince, who will have to marry you, if he refuses other suitors think that?" Alice asks, carefully watching her reaction.

"Alice, she can't answer that. We have to see it for ourselves, the kind of chemistry they have," another lady says, her eyes, trailing Grace's expensive gown.

Laura nods looking back at Grace with a smile. She returns it but is actually thinking about where the prince actually is by this time.

Adelaide has just finished adjusting Prince Nicholas' pleated jacket, his eyes never leaving her as she helped him get ready. She goes to his dresser and grabs a few gold jewelries, bringing them up to him.

"Which would you like to wear today, your highness?"

"Whichever you think is best," he replies, his eyes still glued to her. She honestly looks a little different, but he can't pinpoint what it is. Has the castle been treating her better than he thought? Whatever it is, it is enhancing her beauty, and he wants her so bad.

Adelaide stands on her tiptoes to put the gold necklace around his neck, but she's finding the easy task a bit tedious. "Your highness if you could please, bend a little bit," she frowns, trying to get it hooked.

Nicholas watches her with amusement, and steps back a little, making her lose her balance since she was relying on his shoulders to steady her.

Adelaide yelps, as she falls forward, the prince stepping back to his position, his hands holding her waist, as her body slams against his.

"You don't let me hold you like this anymore," he whispers to her. She tries to free herself from his grip but it's useless, her baby is wearing her out as well.

"Have I done anything wrong?"

"No, of course not," she replies, looking up at him. "But you have been avoiding me ever since you told me you love me."