Chapter 48: MARRY ME, ADELAIDE

IF YOU'VE MADE IT THIS FAR, PLEASE CONSIDER FOLLOWING ME ON WTATPAD FOR MORE!

Nicholas comes back from his meeting in the castle, Adelaide setting the table. The couple had gotten their own property as Nicholas, being a member of the new king's advisory came with its perks. The man had wanted to get servants and maids to help Adelaide out but she refused. The young woman is used to doing so much work, that cleaning the large building and keeping their field neat and clean was not much of a difference. Nicholas eventually persuaded her to allow a few to help her during the day, then they could leave before nightfall. He is still very protective of his lover that has been through so much and even has to take care of their son throughout the day...having a child is a way bigger responsibility than he thought, but it is all worth it.

Nicholas hugs Adelaide from behind, kissing her cheek. "You're back," she says, turning to him with a faint smile on her face. He nods, pecking her lips, before heading to the kitchen to wash his hands.

"I remind you every time that I bring out a bowl of water for you to wash your hands on the table."

"And I remind you that you're not a slave anymore. I can walk to the kitchen to wash my hands."

The woman lets out a soft sigh, watching as he finishes his business in the kitchen, and taking a seat by the table. He opens the meal before she can, tapping the chair beside him. Adelaide slowly takes a seat, watching as he devours the bowl of rice she had prepared.

"Your sister says you refuse to eat the meals given to you at the castle. You need the energy to do the work assigned to you."

"The mere thought of coming home to a meal cooked by you gives me all the energy I need." They've been living together for months now, even experienced a new year and birthdays together, but she still blushes at his heartwarming comments.

Nicholas takes the tray with his plates before she can, heading into the kitchen to clean them out. The young woman looks at her hands, scratching them, feeling a bit nervous.

"Nakoa's asleep?" he asks, suddenly startling her. She looks up at him, watching as he takes the seat next to her, forcing a smile on her face. "Yes, he missed you a lot today. Running all over the house since he learned to use his tiny feet"

He chuckles, pushing his hair back, "I should be finishing early now since I've cleared most of the workload that my successor left."

She nods, moving to stand up, but Nicholas holds her hand, gently pulling her back.

"Could you now tell me what's going on?" Adelaide breaks eye contact with him upon hearing his words. Was it too obvious?

"Princess," he says, gently placing his hand on her cheek, turning her to look at him. "Tell me what's bothering you, my love."

His lover lets out a light shaky breath, gently placing a paper on the table. He frowns, taking the processed wood to look at it.

"Since there was no one left to assume the throne in Amaris, people plotted and conspired against the king and queen. A kingdom invaded, and a war broke out...but it didn't last a day, because the people were poisoned by a plague. The king's army was already dying and couldn't hold them back...No one made it," tears leave her eyes as she says the last part.

Adelaide watches as he reads the letter, balling it up and throwing it on the floor. He rests his forehead on his hand which is propped up on the table. Fear overtakes her as she sees him not shedding a tear.

"I-If you n-need someone t-to blame-"

"Don't...please princess," he says, his eyes still shut tight. Adelaide can't help but blame herself. If she did not come into his life, people wouldn't have plotted to take over in the first place. If she didn't get pregnant, he wouldn't have abandoned his throne, his family, his kingdom, to come to live in the Kingdom of Dawn. This is all her fault.