Chapter 56- And There Was The Tarzlian Dance

Annalise
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I took a deep breath, grasping my bag as if it would give me strength. I didn't comprehend that coming back to my old home would be so terrifying, but I felt completely immobilized. Henry and Hazalen stood behind me, understanding I needed time to prepare myself.

Despite my fear, I didn't think twice about opening the door, facing the challenge head on. A book my mother had just started reading before the Targle Event sat on a desk. Just like that, I was already reminded of her absence.

I shook my head, walking up the stairs to my room. Henry and Hazalen stayed behind, giving me space to do what was needed.

The smell of my signature perfume filled my nose as I walked in my room. There were paintings all over my walls of people: my mother, princesses, mermaids, kings, knights, and my friends. I forgot how personal my room was compared to my suite in the castle.

I started stuffing all my paintings into my bag, wanting to show Damien. I grabbed the painting I made of King Demotis under my bed, trying to find the main object I was looking for.

The diary.

I couldn't help but feel drawn to it ever since the discovery of my heritage. I was very intrigued before, but finding out the dairy was meant for me was astonishing. It felt like fate, that there was a sign or clue I needed to find.

I wanted to read the book inside and out to see what my father was like. I wanted to understand his past self and if there was anything that could've turned him into a monster. Selfishly, I wanted to see if he ever had a good heart.

Cole said it was all my fault.

I couldn't blame myself for my father's madness. The fact that I had to be taken away from him for my own safety worried me, but also reassured me that I wasn't in the wrong.

Where was it?

Nobody could find out about my true heritage. I had to burry the secret to my grave. I was thinking of telling them the truth, but it all boiled down to one problem. If my father found out of my living, he would take me back to Deltora, ready to find me a suitor to wed. My father is insane, and would marry me off to a barbaric prince or dark kingdom.

Dark kingdoms were hidden villages of people who practiced the dark arts. They live deep in the woods, usually hidden from society and worships the witch gods. These small "kingdoms" are evil, and wish the worst for the the system of living we had in society.

I don't want to bear a child in the Descuvian line, not when the kingdom was in ruins. I would never want my child to be killed by others kingdoms targeting the Descuvi's lineage. I would be killed immediately after giving a son, they would have no more use for me anymore.

Most of all...

Damien and I could never be together. Even with our situation in the present, with princess "dark haired- big boobs" and other suitors, I could be by his side. He has rescued me, nurtured my soul, and changed me for the better. I just couldn't leave him.

I couldn't leave my new family.

I came to the conclusion that the dairy wasn't here. I didn't want to share my search for it, due to the fact that it is the diary of the king. I wanted to keep any suspicious at bay.

I shoved the painting back under the bed, hearing  padding up the stairs. Hazalen stood at my doorway, holding a letter with the seal of the prince.

"This must be urgent," she handed it to me with worry. I quickly skimmed over the letter, overthinking the worst.