Chapter 49- And There Was the Truth

WARNING- graphic content ahead!

Damien
*~*~*~*~*~*
Jack and Landon were both by side as we climbed up the tall force of Mount Deltlara. Thirty knights followed in suit behind us, we were taking the lead and were almost to our destination.

"I know I shouldn't be asking this- but do you think Annalise is really here?" Jack's constricted breathing was evident, the armor we wore was very heavy for such a hike. I could see the anxiety getting to him as he fumbled with his sword.

Landon seemed to keep a level head, per usual. He gripped his bow confidently and looked forward every step he took, never glancing back. I could tell that Hazalen's sadness upset him greatly, and he was going to do anything to get her best friend back.

"I know she's here," I answered, viewing the trees ahead. We were going to make it before it turned light, the sun was about to rise and the birds started chirping.

A few minutes later, Landon held up his hand in a fist, halting all of the knights behind us. We were about to walk past the entrance of the cave, but he spotted it just in time. I came up behind him, patting him on the back for his good work. We had to be completely silent, we were close to the enemy.

I explained my plan to the knights using a stick in the dirt. There were three guards in front of the cave, and Landon, Jack and I were to dispose of them before the knights came rushing in.

We wanted to stay on the attacking front, and the surprise of our attack is what would keep Annalise alive. Once we were inside the cave, groups of five would split up in any direction. Our espionage had to explore the base completely before they could get ready for the attack.

I nodded to Landon and Jack, holding up three fingers.

Three...

Two...

One.

Landon shot an arrow right through the first guard's head and he dropped like a fly. The two other guards panicked, pulling out their swords-but Jack and I were already on the run.

The Bendlar clan member blocked my first attack, surprise in his eyes at the force of my blow. I reared the sword up behind me, slicing his torso with ease. Jack easily defeated the smaller guard, overpowering him immediately.

I held up my sword,"ATTACK!!!" The knights pounced out of the bushes, swords drawn, and sprinted into the cave.

Annalise
*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"It's time for you to take your place on the throne, Princess." I felt a dreadful feeling in my stomach at his oblivious statement. As almost as if an untuned cord struck in my head, ringing out unpleasantly.

"What do you mean?" I questioned in a soft tone, shrinking against the stone. Cole grabbed a piece of my hair with a smile, his hand twitching profoundly as he twirled it.

He pushed the ratty piece of hair behind my ear,"You are a projection of him."

I flipped my head away from him. He laughed at my actions, his foul-smelling breath fanning across my skin making me want to gag. His eyes were bloodshot; I realized he had taken mesgra before he visited me.

"Who?" I demanded, tired of the games.

"I don't know how to put this lightly. King Demotis, your highness. You are the lost Princess of Descuvi." He didn't look as if he was lying, but something didn't sit right with his words. I felt panic engulf me, trickling into my mind in waves.

"No... no, your wrong. My mother-"

"-is Queen Lillian of Descuvi. Your guardian was there during your birth and the Queen's death. You are the reason for Demotis' War," his smile was sickening. I was confused, angry, and malnourished- a mixture that caused me to cry.