Chapter 28-And There Was A Unicorn?

It was a chilly Friday at Mettlington High; Harvest season coming to a close, and BlackBerry season was upon us. For Deltora, this meant the Gifting ball and a long break out of school.

Another ball... great.

It also meant we got out early; so Henry and Hazalen thought it would be a great idea to have a picnic in the flurry snow.

"Can you believe this? We are free! Free from that prison of education and crabby educators." Henry exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air.

I pushed past yet another branch in the Unio Forest, having it wack Hazalen in the face," Henry, haven't you only been here for like three weeks?"

"Well honey, after you catch up on the drama at the school it's like I've lived here my whole life. I love being best friends with the most talked about girl at school, I'm already at the top of the hierarchy."

"You know, you're not a very convincing liar." I laughed aloud.

"Because I can't keep a straight face?"

Hazalen was in a spit of giggles, as another tree branch muffled her mouth. I rolled my eyes playfully and carefully cradled the basket of food.

"You really are the girl everybody talks about, all jokes aside."

"What do they say?" I reply.

"That you are most beautiful girl in Deltora. Also that you might marry the Prince one day, and they don't know where you came from. That's why everybody loves you so much, your so beautiful and mysterious."

"Well that's just great."

If anybody found out my true identity... goodbye Henry, Hazalen... and Damien.

"Wait, ladies do you see that!" Henry pointed to the left. There was small path that looked as if it had been treaded before, yet it was hard to tell because of the snow. "I volunteer Annalise!" I rolled my eyes again as both Hazalen and Henry followed close behind, and the only thing she seemed to talk about was how she forgot her peach tea at home.

I was glad Henry volunteered me to walk in the front, because the sight before me was beautiful. What had once looked like a waterfall, was completely solid ice; leading into darkness below. You could see your reflection in the waterfall of frozen icicles, a blue glistening glow emitting from it. 

For a quick second, I saw myself reflected in the frozen ice with the most beautiful glowing ball gown, and Damien coming up behind me. He placed a kiss on my neck and hugged me around my waist, enriching the blush on my face. Then I blinked, and the man from the painting appeared; as he placed a arm on the small of my back with a bright smile, yet it looked sad.

Then the image vanished.

Is this place... magical? What is below that waterfall?

"I wish I wore a different vest for this occasion. It feels like we could host a royal feast with this type of setting!" Henry huffed out.

"Well, too late for that now," I exclaimed, dazed by the frozen waterfall.

As set up for our picnic, snow flurried around us and a bunch got caught in my hair. The afternoon turned out to be rather beautiful, when I was dreading it so. We played in the snow as children would. We made snow angels, held a snowball fight, and even started to build a snowman.

"I think I'll name him Darius... he gives off a sexy vibe."

"Yeah I'm pretty sure that long, carrot nose is looking pretty tasty right now." Hazalen replied.

"He needs buttons and eyes, pronto Annalise! Find us some blackberries." Henry exclaimed and wiped his face with his maroon colored handkerchief.

"Alright, alright, I'm on it." And I set off into the woods to find "Darius" a pair of blackberry eyes. The branches grew thicker as I got dropped into the woods, and I became distracted by the beautiful sights around me.

In Gregerson, there was no such thing as snow. In BlackBerry season it would only become cold enough for a fur coat, but never enough for the white flurries around me now. Especially because Gregerson was right near Descuvi, which from what I recall is a warm and beachy climate, definitely not even close enough for snow.

Yet as I kept walking I didn't seem to be searching for blackberries anymore, my mind was pointing me toward another force of nature.

I can't quite explain it...

The branches became so thick I almost couldn't push through anymore, until I found a small opening underneath the trees. I didn't know where it led to, but it just felt right.

I walked into a clearing of snow, no trees left but a large white bush of blackberries. The thorns, snow, and dark berries complimented each other quite well as I began to pick them one by one, smiling along the way.

I wish life were still this simple.

When I felt I had picked enough berries, I turned around ready to go back to the fun, and was about to pop a blackberry in my mouth. Yet instead, something blocked my path.

Is that a... unicorn?

The horse was taller than I by four feet at least, with a thick white coat of hair. It had a long, thick pink tail and mane, with deep hazel eyes that seemed to glow like the waterfall. The horn on it's head spiraled around, almost like a little spiral candy.

So fascinating... and alluring.

It huffed out at me, saying no to eating the blackberry. "I can't eat this?" I spoke out with uncertainty. As if it understood me, it waved it head no.

I must have taken some yori before I left the house.

"So, what's your name? Mine is Annalise Woods." I spoke to it, hesitant to touch the creature. Yet it simply made another noise, almost as if it were laughing at me.

"Can I touch you?" I asked with kindness. The mystical creature moved toward my outstretched hand, as I began to weave my hands through its pink mane.

"So why are you saying hey to me, huh? I've never heard of any sighting of unicorns in this forest. Well I mean, it is called the Unio Forest, but I've only heard legends in the books. I know many people visit this forest, but I've never heard of one seeing a unicorn! Unless you aren't one, and I was just being offensive, sorry if I was," I rambled on, nervous as could be. It only huffed out at me, sounding tired of my talking, and started to walk away.

"Wait! Mrs. Unicorn! Or Mr., or anything I mean it doesn't matter these days anymore- where are you going?"

~*~*~*~*~*
Thank you guys so much for all your comments and support! It means so much to me, and it inspires me to keep writing; knowing I have support from so many people and you guys are literally EXCITED to keep reading. This is why I write, because I love a good exciting book where you just can't stop turning the pages and will want to even skip class for it.

I'm sorry I haven't been updating frequently, especially now because I've just broke up with what I thought was the love of my life. So it's very hard to write about love and be creative when all you want to do is not think about love and relationships.

Just know I'm doing a lot better now, because I've realized I am needed and loved by so many people, and I really don't need him. If somebody isn't afraid to loose you, loose them. Think about the SHOULD haves, not could haves. Especially when they cheat on you ;).

But I love you guys! And I am going to keep writing because of all of your support and love. It makes me so happy to know this book brings others joy.

Have a great day !!! <3 I love you all