Chapter 37- And There Was The Dinner With The King

ANNALISE
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"The royal family! We are dining with THE royal Deltorian family tonight!" I scolded Hazalen and Henry. They failed to mention that our little 'dinner' tonight would be with the royal family.

Hazalen uncomfortably scratched behind her ear,"We thought you knew how dinners went in the palace!"

"All high-ranking nobles whom live in the palace eat dinner with the King every Wednesday. It's not a big deal, Annalise." Henry rebutted. I was a Descuvi dining with the Deltorian King. If my mother had found this out, plus being on the Targle team, we might have to move kingdoms again.

"A big deal! This is King Eggar we are talking about!" I threw Henry's Gabachi hat at him in fury,"Will Damien be there?"

"Yes," he squeaked out,"He always sits to the right of the King, then my father on the left." Being the Head Knight, it made sense for him to dine next to the King. As well as having Damien as his right hand man.

"Will Jack be there?" I asked incredulously. They both nodded in unison, knowing it would anger me more.

I couldn't have Jack talking about how we made the Targle team, let alone talk about me in itself. The King couldn't find out of my existence, if he hasn't already. If any questions were to come my way, I wouldn't know how to answer them on the fly.

I was a Descuvi, the highest crime in all of Deltora.

And I was about to dine with the most powerful entity in the whole land.

I couldn't help but think back to Demotis' diary, it felt invasive knowing King Eggar more than he perceived. I held all the cards, knowing so much about others in the kingdom and their flaws, yet nobody knew mine.

"Well, it's time to start getting ready Annalise!" Henry dragged me to the bathroom," You smell like beef," then called a maid for a bath.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

We walked in union throughout the grand palace hallways, and the emptiness of food in my stomach did not help the butterflies. My dress was elegant and simple for tonight, I wanted to blend in with the other nobles.

"Honey, I know you're trying to 'lay low' but it's just not going to happen. You're too pretty for your own good, and the other bachelors will be watching," Henry stated.

Damien is going to love that.

"Some might try to talk to you, so you need to answer politely." Hazalen reminded me. I rolled my eyes, not believing I was going through with this. We arrived at the double doors to the dining room and my adrenaline started pumping. Henry opened the door, holding it for both Hazalen and I.

There was a long, extravagant table with many nobles chatting away. King Eggar's chair was absent, it sat at the very center-end engraved with gold crown designs.

I spotted Damien right away, obviously he hadn't noticed me yet. He was talking to Landon Apa, a friend he must've brought for the dinner. Landon was telling an engaging story and Damien's lips curled into a small smile, almost as if he didn't want it to be seen.

He's getting better at showing his emotions.

We walked to the table and somebody already pulled my chair back. I looked back to find Jack with an innocent grin.