Chapter 65- And There Was Henry And the Princess

Annalise
*~*~*~*~*~*

The ride to my mother's shop was quiet. We kept the curtains in the carriage closed for privacy, so I couldn't couldn't view the nightlife of Deltora to fill the silence. Henry sat across from me with his legs crossed, giving me a smile here and there, but I only felt slight unease. Once we arrived, Henry spoke in low whispers to the coachman, and unlocked the abandoned shop.

Or so I thought.

I noticed a suit hanging under the bright moonlight. I walked up to it, feeling the fine x-stitches and craftsmanship. As Henry started lighting more lanterns around the room, more exquisite suits became visible- the whole shop had been redone. The chairs had been refurbished, the wood floor was shiner than usual, and decorative flowers filled the shop.

"Henry... did you do all this?"

"Of corse, Princess. It was the least I could do for your mother."

I tried to laugh his comment off,"I can't believe you did all this! You truly are amazing, Henry. My mother would've been so proud of you. She always asked when you could come over so she could share her latest fashions or gossip. You have no idea how much this means to me. I couldn't ask for a better friend." I gave him a giant hug, squeezing him tight.

He squeezed back,"You're my family now, Annalise," he pulled away to walk behind the desk, heaving as he placed a large box on it. I walked over to him, tracing my hand over my mother's handwriting. It was a gift from her, one that Henry must've found while remodeling the shop.

"Princess or not."

I only stared at him, not knowing what to say. This was the first time I had been called Princess from an authoritative stance. Not to be mocked, not as a pet name- Henry truly respected me, the way he used my title.

He pushed the box toward me, beckoning me to open it. I gave him one last look, knowing that what he found in this box led to my secret being revealed.

He held a small smile as opened the box. I wanted to roll my eyes at the fact that he re-sealed it for me, but now was not the time to mock Henry. I picked up a wedding dress, undoubtedly made by my mother. It was beautiful, yet heavy, beaded in designs of flowers and swirls. A note sat at the bottom, addressed to me.

Dear Annalise,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. I knew the day would come where I would have to tell you your heritage. I had never wanted to hurt your feelings by not telling you before, but it was for your own safety. This dress was worn by your mother on her wedding day. Your true birth mother. Her name was Lillian- Queen Lillian of Descuvi. Your father is King Demotis of Descuvi. I married a council member of Descuvi- I didn't lie about that- and that was how I met your mother. We became close friends; we confided in each other for everything. I was not only her best friend, but a loyal devoter to the crown. On your mother's deathbed, her last request was for me to protect you. As soon as the King Demotis became engulfed with rage and killed my husband, I took you and ran away. You were the only family I had left. I would've done anything for Lillian and the crown- and I knew you were the future. You are the last hope of Descuvi, Princess Annalise. Only you can bring Descuvi back to it's former glory. I love you more than anything.

With love,
-Scarlett Woods

I clutched the note in my hand, tears falling down my face. I knew I was the Princess already, but why couldn't I have found out this way? With her kind words and full explanation, right by my side as I read  her letter.

Why me?

There is no hope left for Descuvi.

My own people want to kill me.

I don't want this!

"Annalise, I-"

"No Henry, I already knew." I swatted Henry's arm away, still clutching the letter. A flash of hurt reigned through his eyes, and I immediately felt guilt.

"I- I am sorry. I've just, I've never had somebody I could talk to about this before. I wish my mother could've answered these questions, and not a sheet of paper."

"Can't you see, Annalise? She did- your mother knew something like this could happen, so she wrote you a letter. She ended up telling you everything in the end."

"I found out I was the lost Princess on my mother's deathbed, Henry. I just wish I could've... why me, Henry? Why am I the Princess? Everybody has been saying it is my destiny, that I will save Descuvi, but the only thing I am destined for is failure. My father is a madman, driven by the need to kill. My own people have tried to rape and kidnap me, just so I can be married off to a dark kingdom. And I'm in love with somebody I could never be with, lying to him about who I truly am! Is that even love, Henry? He thinks I should be put on a pedestal so that other woman can worship me, but would he really feel that way if he knew who I truly was? The Princess of Descuvi, the kingdom he's been preparing his whole life to bring down. He's in love with a facade- and perhaps I am too- an illusion that we could be somehow together. I am his enemy, and his greatest desire. I am destined for pain and suffering, Henry. Nothing more and nothing less.

If you want to tell Damien, I understand. My one request is that you let me tell him, or else-"

Henry held up his hand in one swift motion, silencing my speech. My tears even stopped for a slim second due to his motion. His hazel eyes never wavered from mine as gently he placed his hands on my arms, stopping my shaking.

"I'm your family now, Princess," and he handed me a handkerchief.

I couldn't help it- I laughed. My tears slowly started to become laughter as I grabbed his handkerchief, wiping off stray tears.

He always had something up his sleeve.

He grabbed me, embracing me in a tight hold. It felt comforting to cry into Henry's arms, but this time they were relieved tears.

He's accepted me- knowing truly who I am.

"Please don't call me that." I laughed some more, holding him tight.

"I can't believe you thought I was going to tell Damien."

I pulled away," I didn't know how you would react. You're the only person who knows."

"You don't have to bear this burden alone anymore. I don't want a war, Annalise. First of all- my sales in shop would plummet- but most importantly, innocent lives will be lost. Think of how many people have already lost their lives due to your father, now imagine that by a tenfold. The war would divide all the lands by two sides: with Descuvi or Deltora. The war could last years, and completely destroy our world as we know it- especially if Descuvi wins. We cannot let this happen."

"So what should we do?" I ask him, clutching the handkerchief.

"I have a plan."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Annalise and Henry really just bonded 🥺

Henry has a plan, per usual. But Princess dark haired big boobs is still a big problem.

I hope you liked the chapter 🤭so much more is to come- so many plot twists you won't be able to figure out right now. Sorry not sorry hehe

I love you all! Stay safe and healthy- mentally and physically.