Chapter 54- And There Was Little Damien

Damien
*~*~*~*~*~*
I returned to my room with the maids, carrying hot gallons of water in vases. I requested for them to leave them outside the door, not wanting them to see Annalise.

I opened the door, and immediately my eyes found her. She was sitting cross-legged by the fire, nervously twirling her necklace as she viewed the shadows.

I placed the vase down, causing her to jump unexpectedly. Her eyes were wide with fear, and she scooted closer to the fire. I realized that the mood from before had ended.

"Are you alright?" I came up behind her, rubbing her back in circles.

She continued to twirl the necklace I gave her,"I've never been in your room alone before in the dark."

I'd noticed she had accumulated a new fear of shadows, especially ones on walls. Every day since her return, she's always doing things outside, wanting to be in the sun. It was as almost if she thought there wasn't going to be a tomorrow, so she wanted to spend today making the most of her time.

I would never be able to comprehend the trauma Annalise went through in the cave, but I was willing to do everything in my power to help her heal. She still hadn't explained her full experience, and I could tell she was trying to hide it- but I would never ask her to deliberately talk about it.

"Guess what?" I grabbed her hands away from the necklace, causing her eyes to cut to mine. I wanted to try a new tactic.

"What?" She asked me, curious at my excitement. I grabbed a chocolate strawberry from the table, holding it up near the fire so that a shadow of it cast onto the carpet.

"What is this a shadow of?" I asked her.

"A chocolate strawberry." She reached for it, wanting to eat the delight, but I wouldn't let her. She seemed as if she wanted to roll her eyes, but at least her fear from before was gone.

"What about this?" I grabbed her chin, kissing her cheek so that she could view the image of us.

"The prince of Deltora kissing a Descuvian-"

"Well, more like a boy kissing a girl he loves, but that's besides the point. Shadows aren't always bad, sweetheart." I finally handed her the chocolate strawberry.

Though she was still very drunk, she obviously understood my message. I placed my hands on both sides of her cheeks, trying to rub out the wrinkles on her forehead and bring her comfort.

"I think I understand what you're trying to say," she remarked, picking up the rose from her hair and holding it up to the fire. In the shadow, thorns grew up the side of the rose; the petals were defined and even looked soft in its own reflection.

I took the rose from her, viewing the tangled mess atop of her head. "Eat as much as you like," I winked at her, gesturing to the snacks.

One by one, I unloaded the vases of water into the bath, lighting candles around the bathroom. The soft glow of the moon was hidden behind the window. I picked the petals off of the rose, placing them in the bath. Before I retrieved Annalise, I turned around one more time, making sure everything looked perfect.

The moon.

This finished the scene, the whole bathroom was now covered in a blue hue as the full moon shone when I opened the window.

Damn Damien, you sure knew how to set up a romantic scene.

"Is it ready? I don't want the water to get cold." Annalise appeared behind me, munching on an oatmeal cookie. I snatched it from her, shoving the rest of it in my mouth. She slightly glared at me, but let my action pass without reprimanding me.