Chapter 38- And There Was Damien's Question From the King

DAMIEN
*~*~*~*~*~*

The doors shut behind Annalise, and the only people that remained in the room was my father and I. He sat back down, sighing loudly and took off his crown. 

He took off the crown, not good.

I sat back down next to him, not knowing how he was going to approach the dinner situation.

"What in the Gods name was that, Darius? Do you believe shouting at the dinner table is how a future King of Deltora should act? Screaming barbarically across a royal feast." He shook his head, disappointment shone through his eyes.

"No father, I do not believe that."

"What did you say? 'She does not belong to anybody'?" He questioned, his stare set in my direction. I held no fear as I nodded my head, yet at the same time I didn't know how I was going to explain myself.

"There's something about her, Darius. She looks familiar, yet I've never seen her before. She obviously isn't a Deltorian, but she doesn't have the look of any human whom has passed through our walls before."

"Do you mean beauty?" I asked, trying to lighten the mood.

"Darius, this is no joking matter. What is her name? Where is her homeland? I have an uneasy feeling about her, and my instincts are always right."

"I think you just don't want her interfering with your plans for my marriage because of what I said." I looked down at my hands, remembering the necklace I gave her. I didn't want to marry some random, stuck up Princess from Tarzla or Solaria.

I wanted to make Annalise mine.

I hadn't known she was going to attend dinner tonight, but I should never have expected less. She always seemed to surprise me without even meaning to.

The reason why I would have never invited her to dinner in the first place was because of what happened tonight. I knew Antonio would make a move, I had been watching him the whole dinner. I could even tell when Annalise was uncomfortable by their discussion because she looked away.

I've been there Antonio, but I'm not coming back.

On my watch, I will never let anybody make Annalise feel uncomfortable or inferior. She is so much more than a 'tailors daughter' or a 'pretty face'. She changed me in many ways, so I would never let anybody change her. Her fire shall never be put out by an insignificant drop of rain.

I will protect her at all costs.

"Are you insisting you have had romantic thoughts of her?" He asked, scoffing with a chuckle. He acted as if he thought it was funny, but we both knew he wasn't joking around.

"If so, we both know that would never be a possibility. She will never be a Princess, and no Prince of Deltora shall ever marry a citizen. Especially one whom is not a true Deltorian." He continued eating, dismissing the topic of my interest in her, as if he had already won the fight.

"She has never done anything to you, father. And her name is Annalise Woods," I continued defending her.

"Woods... where was she born?"