Chapter 39- And There Was Henry's Investigation

ANNALISE
*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Are you a Descuvi?"

His words continuously echoed in my brain.

Are you a Descuvi?

I pulled my robe closer, suddenly feeling colder though it was a warm night. His eyes were piercing mine, guilt engulfing my whole body. I looked away immediately, knowing if I kept staring he would be able to see right through me.

"Annalise, I need you to look me in my eyes and tell me the truth." He tried grabbing my hands, but I brushed them off. My heart was pounding and my mind was haywire.

What was I going to say?

If I told him the truth, he would never talk to me again. I would receive the penalty for a Descuvi, especially one whom had lied about their identity: death. I looked up at the moon, wishing I had the strength to tell the truth.

"Annalise, you can't hide forever. I'm trying to help you."

Everything leading up to this point in my life, my mother had kept me safe. She provided for me and created a better life for me. She warned me not to get close with any sort of royals, and I didn't listen.

I messed this up, so I had to make it right.

"I'm not a Descuvi." I sighed out, still staring at the moon.

"Look me in my eyes, Annalise," he turned my chin to his direction, no escaping his truth-seeking eyes. He drifted the back of his hand across my cheek, and I wanted to cry out in sadness. I was about to tell the biggest lie of my life to the person I cared about most.

And I've never lied.

"I'm not a Descuvi," a tear fell from my eyes. He wiped it away, concern now written on his face. It hurt to even say, the lies spilling from my mouth leaving a salty taste behind.

"Then what are you?" He looked relieved, his shoulders slumping back against the bench.

"I'm a Gregerson."

"But you look nothing like one, sweetheart." His taunting hands still stroked my face, making me feel more guilty.

Another tear fell,"My father was a Descuvi. He moved to Gregerson before Demotis' Rage hit him, and met my mother in Gregerson. There they had me, and he was killed by a Descuvi a few months before I was born. Ever since, my mother had wanted to move out of Gregerson to give me a better life," The tears didn't stop rolling down my face.

"Your dad had left before the Queen was killed then, right? He stayed a good man before he died?" His questions taunted me.

I nodded my head to his question, not wanting to speak another lie. I didn't even know my father and I was lying about him too. The guilt was taking over my whole body, I was shaking as I cried.

Damien pulled me in, wrapping both arms around my back and embracing my tears. The sad thing was that he didn't know I was crying because I lied to him. I've been lying to every person I've befriended, not being a true friend.

My whole life had to live in lies.

"So you're half-Descuvi?" He asked, taking my sobs into his shirt and stroking my hair.

"Yes, but I've shown no signs of his rage reaching me." Maybe I truly was a cold, lying, sneaky Descuvi. It's in my blood after all. Maybe this was Demotis' rage reaching me, myself being a full-born Descuvi lying to everyone who cares for me.

"All that really matters is that you were truly born in Gregerson, Annalise. Though you are half-Descuvi, you have shown compassion, truth, and open arms to every person you have met. You even got the cold-hearted, emotionless Prince of Deltora to open up to you. I don't know if you feel it, but with you I feel an insane, electric bond I've never felt before with anybody else. I don't know what is, but I feel like it's fate pulling us together."