Chapter 60- And There Was the Red Eyes

Annalise
*~*~*~*~*~*

"Come, take a seat Miss Woods." He gestured to his guest chair. I nodded apprehensively, doing as he requested. Up close, I noticed Mr.Roswell had a beak-like nose. A mole sat on the side of it, distracting me from his beady eyes. His hair was white as a sheep's, gelled back with too much product.

"Let's talk about the event that occurred today." He glanced over my gown, taking his time around my waist. I placed my hands in front of it, wondering why his sight was wandering.

"What do you want to know?" I shifted uncomfortably, accidentally kicking a back-pack below me.

"It is to my understanding that two boys were fighting over your affection, Annalise. Why is that?"

"I don't... I don't know how to answer that, Sir."

He barked a laugh, and yet again, it didn't feel natural. "You know, my step-son was rather fond of you as well. Before he was murdered, that is."

I immediately froze, his eyes trained on my frightened reaction. He seemed to not mind my fear, as if he enjoyed it. The room felt as if it swallowed me whole, my breathing quickening. I was even afraid he could hear my heartbeat. I opened my mouth to speak, but he interjected instead.

"Don't worry, my child. I hated him anyway, and it seems as if your friends disposed of him for me. He served his purpose exactly. How about we get back to the real topic- you." He laid his chin on his hands, leaning forward. For a second I could've sworn his eyes flashed red, but I dismissed it.

"What do you want?" I questioned him, fear laced in my voice. It meant to come out demanding, but I missed my mark.

"The only reason why I married Cole's mother was to keep tabs on the Bendlar Clan. I never seemed to get any information out of him, but one of my comrades knew what the clan was planning." A smirk slowly started to form on his lips, taunting me with a long pause. He understood I knew where this was leading, and relished in my reactions.

I should've ran, called for help or screamed- but I was frozen under his stare. I wanted to know what information he was taking his dear time to share, yet fear engulfed me at the thought.

"It is also to my knowledge that the prince might get married soon, despite his affections toward you. King Eggar has always been too afraid to go against his best friend, but Damien won't think twice. This is not good for us, so we have decided to take the next step in our plan." He reached into his drawer, and the desk hindered my sight.

"Who is 'us'?" I demanded, this time with force. I could feel the trail of his eyes blazing across my body, and I tried covering it by folding my arms. Not only did he scare me, he made me feel uncomfortable to the point where I had to hold myself.

"Us Descuvians, of corse. We finally tracked you down in Deltora and have been watching you ever since. Falling in love with the prince wasn't apart of the plan, but it will work nicely as bait."

My mouth gaped open, nails digging into my arms for any source of support. I had presumed the man with the yellow teeth from the ball had been apart of the Bendlar Clan, but I was wrong. I had hoped the terrifying presence of his knife on my neck had been all but a dream, his warning of my actions being watched. The way the man's eyes flashed red- the same as Mr. Roswell's- striking fear through me at the thought.