Chapter 36 - Judgement

Sorry for the prolonged break

---***---

"Sriman Govardhana. You stand accused of faking your identity during your enlistment, planning an attack on Queen Mayanshi, aiding the traitor to the crown, former prince Bhairava, in attacking and killing innocent villagers and abducting the queen and attempting to kill her by stabbing her. How do you answer for your crimes?" Mahamantri Susharma addressed Govardhana. 

He glanced at Mayanshi, whose expression was unreadable at the moment. Was his cousin seething with rage on the inside? Or was she filled with concern for him? It was impossible to say.

Nevertheless, he was glad to see that she was not alone. Her husband supported her by holding her hand in his. He had been informed that the King did not leave the Queen's bedside throughout the week, and attended to her needs dutifully. 'How very wrong you were about Samarjit, nanna. You filled your heart with so much hate that you viewed everyone through the same lens. You failed to see the goodness in the people around you.'

He cleared his throat and spoke directly to the prime minister. "I am guilty of all the crimes mentioned, barring one."

"What is that?"

"I didn't stab her. It was my father. I would never hurt Mayanshi."

"It's Queen Mayanshi." Samarjit corrected him.

"My apologies, Maharaja." Govardhana joined his palms.

"Can anyone confirm that it wasn't you who stabbed the Queen?" Dushyanta spoke out of turn, making everyone turn to face him. Samarjit frowned at his cousin's behavior. Yet he remained calm.

"It is difficult for us to believe the man who planned so many attacks against us. Can you produce any proof?" He demanded. The courtiers nodded in agreement.

"I don't have proof. But I have an eye witness."

"Who? Your father?" asked one of the courtiers. The attendees laughed.

Govardhana chuckled humourlessly at their attempt to mock him. Samarjit raised his hand to silence everyone. "Who is this eye witness?" He addressed the accused, knowing fully well who he was talking about.

"The Queen." Govardhana replied. Everyone gasped at his audacity. He ignored it. "She was conscious when my father stabbed her."

The court was filled with murmuring. Mayanshi decided to put an end to it. She stood up, heavily relying on Samarjit's support. "I clearly remember that it was my uncle, Lord Bhairava, who stabbed me and threw me into the river. My cousin jumped in to waters at once, in an attempt to save me."

"Maharani. My apologies for contradicting your statement. But maybe this is how you remember it. What transpired might be different. I mean, you were the victim. You may not have noticed everything clearly." The prime minister expressed his doubt.