Chapter 19 - The Wedding

Couldn't resist from updating today. It's 31st of July. 

And I hope I am not too late in congratulating my fellow Marvel fans on our achievement, as well as the phase 4 announcement. 

By the way, Mayanshi's wedding jewellery:

---***---

Jayendra rushed to Samarjit's chambers, trying to enter without announcing himself, only to be stopped by Venu. "Senapati garu? What happened?"

"I must see the prince. It's very urgent."

"He is observing the rituals. It's the day of wedding. He may not be able to help you today. I might be able to assist you." 

"I bring very grave news from the Eastern territory. Gopalapuram village has been attacked in the middle of the night by masked assassins. More than fifty are killed and several others are taken hostages. I need to bring this matter to his notice." 

"No. Wait. We need to think before acting. If the prince or the princess knew, they will postpone the wedding and go to rescue the villagers." Venu tried to hide his shock over the unexpected set of events.

"Well, this is important. I can't help it." Jayendra tried to walk past him only to be pulled back. "You dare stop the Senapati of Virata, boy?" He roared.

"Forgive me. But it looks like the attack has been planned to stall the wedding. Someone clearly doesn't want them to get united in matrimony. And I need not remind you how important this alliance with Srimukha is, to us. Please. I request you to consider the consequences." Venu begged him.

Jayendra's eyebrows knit together. "You are right. Someone is trying to stop the wedding. Who might that be?" He wondered if it could be Vaishali. But it seemed too cruel even for her to destroy a whole village of her own empire, just to stop a wedding. "Maybe Queen Bhargavi. Or Abhimanyu. Eastern border villages are accessible to them, and they dislike Prince Samarjit."

"No! Our prince has already made an accusation against Prince Abhimanyu, which turned out to be untrue. If we make another accusation, it will worsen the ties between Virata and Srimukha."

"It seems that's exactly what the mastermind behind the attack wants to happen. The information will postpone the wedding, and even if one person from the royal court questions Srimukha, it will lead to breaking the alliance." Jayendra decided to handle the rescue operation himself, without informing anyone. "I have to go. You have to cover up for me here. My absence should not create suspicion. Neither the bride, nor the groom, should know about this. I am counting on you, Venu."

"I will do my best." Venu bowed to him. Jayendra walked away hurriedly. 

No sooner had the army Chief left, than the prince's younger cousin appeared. "I need to talk to my brother. We should ride to Gopalapuram this moment" said Dhruvin.