Chapter 7 - The Lion-shaped tattoo

I am extremely grateful to Deva garu for making this wonderful cover. Isn't it beautiful?

She has written stories belonging to different genre

She has written stories belonging to different genre. My favourite among them being 'Suvarna Grantha' (Historical Fiction) and 'The Last Agosti' (Mystery). Please do add them to your library. 

---***---

Mayanshi quickly scanned the five assassins and zeroed in on the easiest target. She dived towards his legs with lightning speed and stabbed his ankle. He yelped in pain. That gave her the opportunity to snatch his sword. She had barely turned around when two assassins charged at her together. She managed to dodge their strikes. Manikantha was holding off the other two with all his might.

They attacked her again, this time separately, injuring her right elbow. Instinct told her to run towards the temple's exit. If she could somehow manage to get out of the temple, and scream on top of her voice, there was a probability of someone hearing her and coming to her aid. She started running. One of the two assassins anticipated this move of hers. He leapt in the direction to block her way out of the temple, while the other one who seemed to be slower, chased her. 

She considered using mere physical strength and pushing him away from the gate, despite knowing that he was the strongest in the lot.

That's when she remembered Samarjit's words. 'Never give your opponent the advantage of proximity.'

She abandoned her plan of running and turned around, facing the one that chased her. She found a weak spot, which happened to be his throat, and ran the sword through it. He collapsed to the floor. She barely had time to register it, when the other assassin attacked her. She glanced at Manikantha. He was busy battling the other two. 

Out of desperation, she kicked the assassin in the thigh. He stumbled for a moment. That gave her the time to stab him in the stomach with her dagger. She plunged it deep inside his body.

"Run!" Yelled one of the remaining three. They vanished from the premises within seconds. Manikantha tried to run after them.

"No! Don't go after them." Mayanshi ordered him. "There could be more of them, trying to lure us to their territory."

He obeyed.

Meanwhile, in the ground, Abhimanyu and Samarjit ran into each other. "Where is she?" They asked in unison.

"I thought she was dining with you" said Samarjit.

"No. She was talking to you the last time I saw her" said Abhimanyu.

They approached Jayendra, who was giving away the gifts to the poor, and explained the situation to him. "Were you all napping?The Princess is missing." He yelled at the soldiers present there. He divided them into four groups and sent them to search for her in different directions.