Chapter 9 - Confusion

Long update for you. Can I expect a long comment? Please.

---***---

Govardhana waited with bated breath as his father, Bhairava, scanned him from head to toe. "So, have you met our little princess?"

"Yes."

"How is she doing?"

"Our little princess is all grown up now, nanna. You should see her wielding a sword. It felt like witnessing a Goddess fighting demons." Manikantha spoke proudly.

"Why do I detect sadness in your voice?" asked Bhairava.

Govardhana sighed. "She recognized me."

"What! How?"

"By this tattoo." Govardhana showed his tattoo to his father. "She ordered me to leave. Forgive me, nanna. I failed you."

"Does she not understand that you are trying to protect her?"

"View the situation from her perspective. When she has been told that her uncle had her father murdered, by everyone she trusts for fifteen years, why would she believe the words of the supposed murderer's son? Also, I don't have any evidence to prove your innocence." Govardhana lowered his eyes. "She is not only my cousin, but also my princess. I had to obey her."

Bhairava didn't speak for a long time. He closed his eyes. Whether he was thinking, or trying to hide his disappointment, Govardhana couldn't tell. He stood up and slowly started walking away when his father called him back. "Wait. All is not over yet."

"I don't understand. When she asked me to leave--"

"She only relieved you from your services. That doesn't mean you cannot protect her. You just need to maintain your distance from her." Bhairava advised him.

"I am not certain this would work."

"You have to make it work." Bhairava placed his hand on his son's shoulder. "We cannot let Mayanshi come under that evil Queen's influence. We have to guide her. And you are the only one capable of doing it among all our followers." 

Govardhana drew in a deep breath and nodded, with eyes full of determination.

---***---

"For the last time, I am not going anywhere. I will stay until your coronation. You can't change my mind." Abhimanyu protested against his sister's decision.

"Do not argue, Abhimanyu. Do as I say. I can't put you in harm's way. Not when I have witnessed how dangerous this place is" said Mayanshi.

"That's my point. How can you expect me to leave you by yourself when someone sent assassins to murder you?" 

"Because I command you to." Mayanshi raised her voice. "Your elder sister orders you to leave."

"Forgive me, my elder sister. I don't take orders from you." Abhimanyu refused to listen. "I am tired of you telling me what to do and what not to do. I am not a child. I don't need you to tell me. Thank you very much." 

Mayanshi glared at him. He glared back. It was impossible to tell whose face carried more anger. It was only when Devika dropped a tray full of ornaments, that they stopped trying to intimidate each other. 

"What is it, Devika?" Mayanshi snapped.

"Apologies, Yuvarani. I will leave." Devika replied timidly.

"No. You may stay" said Mayanshi.

Devika started picking up the ornaments from the ground. She couldn't find a bangle, which happened to be her princess's favourite. She started searching for it.