Chapter 20 - The rescue mission

I wrote this chapter with a single functioning brain cell while all others are asleep.

---***---

Samarjit struggled to not yell at Venu, while trying to comprehend the consequences of what his adviser had done without consulting him. He barely paid attention to what Dushyanta and Agastya spoke.

He glared at Venu with utmost hostility, before demanding an explanation. "Is it true? Did you know about this?"

"Yes, Yuvaraja." Venu replied.

"You concealed the information from me. And stopped my cousins from telling the Queen. You restricted them to their chambers, thus not allowing them to meet anyone. Do you deny it?"

"No. But I--"

Samarjit silenced him with a sharp look. "Who gave you the authority?"

"That's what I told him." Dushyanta began complaining. "But he was in no mood to listen. He--"

"Brother, let the accused speak." Samarjit interrupted him.

"Yuvaraja, it is clear that someone planned this attack with the intention of stopping the wedding. We all know how important this alliance is to us. I couldn't let anyone ruin it."

"It was never your decision to make!"

"But Senapati garu agreed with me. He left for the rescue mission by himself."

"Senapati garu has the authority to go on a mission without informing us, if his duty dictates him. Your case is different. Your duty dictates you to inform me. You failed me. You shall be punished." Samarjit never thought there would come a day when he had to punish his closest friend. "You shall no longer be my adviser."

"Samarjit, perhaps you are being too hard on your adviser." Vaishali tried to intervene.

"He knew what he was doing. He has to bear the consequences." Samarjit was in no mood to listen. "He needs to be banished as per the law."

"I support Samarjit" said Dushyanta. "Venu put the life of our subjects in danger."

"Which is why he shall be thrown into the dungeons until we return. His punishment will be decided after we return. He will get a proper trial." Mayanshi spoke up.

"Trial, Yuvarani?" Samarjit. "But the law--"

"We are wasting time. We should ride. We have to join Senapati garu and his men before they reach the village." Mayanshi tried her best to avoid brutal punishment for Venu.

"Very well." Vaishali ordered for Venu to be arrested.

The guards took him away. He didn't protest.

"We have to start now" said Mayanshi.

"You can't go, Maya" said Bhargavi.

"Why?"

"You got married this morning. The bride can't go and fight battles." Bhargavi argued.

Mayanshi sighed. She knew Bhargavi was trying to protect her. And it annoyed her. 'Does she really think I will sit here and wait while my people have been taken hostage?' She summoned all her patience to not yell at her mother in public.

"Listen to your mother, child. It's not safe. I know you are worried. But at least respect the tradition. You are the bride." Vaishali tried to stop her.

Mayanshi didn't have another moment to waste. Samarjit already left the chamber. He would start riding to Gopalapuram any moment. "You both knew my mother, Queen Kaushiki, better than me. What would she have done in this situation? Let someone else fight for her people or join the fight?"