Chapter 29 - The mountain

Dear creator of illusions,

It might be interesting for you to note that the chillies we found in the heap of the dozen beans and ordered to be cooked separately, were actually sent by a mountain. I would also warn you, my dear honeybee, to not seek shelter from the said mountain. It is impure.

"Maharani. You have been clutching the scroll since dawn. What does it say? Anything to worry about?" Devika asked Mayanshi.

"Nothing, Devika."

"Who is it from?" Devika walked towards the queen to grab the letter, before remembering something and stopping midway. "My apologies, Maharani. It's probably private. I shouldn't have asked."

Mayanshi furrowed her eyebrows. "Devika. None of my handmaidens are allowed to know details that I regard personal. None except you. You are family. Remember? You are hurting me by distancing yourself."

"I would never do that, Maharani. Forgive me." Devika mumbled.

"You need to stop apologizing for everything. Would you do that for me, please?" Mayanshi cupped Devika's face, who nodded and embraced her.

Mayanshi patted her affectionately before breaking the hug. "This message is from Abhimanyu. Delivered by a pigeon. He knows how unsafe it is. Don't know what he was thinking."

"What does it say?"

"He seems to have known the identity of the person who sent the four spies to Srimukha, just before we left for Virata."

"Who is it?"

"That's what I am struggling to understand." Mayanshi showed her the message.

"Maybe he meant they are from a mountain region." Devika offered.

"Maybe he did." Mayanshi looked tired. "I gather you were here to say something. What is it?"

"I don't know how to say it, Maharani. It is about the king."

"What about him?"

"There have been gossips. They say that a woman, who was once a close associate of late King Vasishtha is here in the city after 25 years."

"So?" asked Mayanshi. "I fail to see what the issue is."

Devika hung her head, uncertain how her queen would take the news. "Rumour has it that the woman is the late king's second wife and King Samarjit's mother." She spoke quickly.

"What!" Mayanshi exclaimed. "Do you even hear what you are saying, Devika? This is not true."

"You are right, Maharani. It can't be true. But..."

"But?"

"One of the servants heard the prime minister discuss this with minister Agastya."

"So, you are saying there might be some credibility to the news? What does the queen mother have to say about this? Does she know?" Mayanshi wondered. She decided to speak with Vaishali.

She went in search of the former queen, whom she found in the art gallery.

"Welcome, child. I was viewing these beautiful paintings. Come, join me."

"Is this true?"

"Is what true?"

"Did the late king have a relationship with another woman?" Mayanshi demanded answers.

"Why are you so astonished? Aren't you aware that it is not uncommon for nobility and royalty to marry more than once? The reason could be anything. Either the desire to elevate their social status or the need for an heir."