Chapter 12 - Public Humiliation

I am extremely grateful to Radhika402 for the wonderfully elegant cover she made. Thank you so much for the beautiful gift dear friend.

Tag her and let her know what you think about it.

Sorry for not updating last week. I was ill. 

---***---

"Are you sure about this? The material used for clothing is from Eastern border?" Samarjit asked for the third time.

"I could arrange a meeting with the expert who confirmed this." Venu offered.

"No. That won't be necessary." Samarjit ran his hand through his hair. "I... I don't know. All these days I was waiting for a strong evidence against Abhimanyu. Now when I acquired one, it doesn't feel right."

"Forgive me, Yuvaraja. What doesn't feel right? Everything points towards him." 

"That's the thing. If they planned to kill her in Virata why would they choose assassins from eastern side? Maharani Bhargavi, if she did plan to murder Mayanshi, will have made a better plan. What is true in my mother's case, is applicable for her too. She is too wise to do something like this."

"But we need to consider other factors. She is not here. I mean no offense, but the person executing the plan is a child. Prince Abhimanyu is not matured enough to handle something like this though he had guidance from her. I reckon he is the reason they failed. It all fits." Venu couldn't understand why his prince was hesitating. "We have other issues to focus upon. Let's inform our Queen and rid ourselves of this duty."

"No!" Samarjit stood up. "Don't tell anyone. Not yet. I command you to stay silent."

Venu was alarmed. "You have my word." He frowned at his prince, who walked to and fro, occasionally halting for a while before resuming. "Yuvaraja, may I say something?" 

"Yes"

"We should stop worrying about Princess Mayanshi. She doesn't seem to be affected by this incident."

"I am the reason she was attacked. I don't know whether it was my mother or her foster mother. But it all comes down to the inheritance issue. Had I not been a contender to the throne, Mayanshi would have been safe." Samarjit spoke as if he almost regretted being the prince. He could still hear her accusing him of being an opportunist. And a part of him knew she was right.

"Yuvaraja. King Raghuveera and Queen Bhargavi will arrive soon. I have been informed that they ended their trip to Kashi midway when they heard about the attack. Let's wait until then, to reach a conclusion. Now you need to sleep. We have the governors from important cities arriving tomorrow." Venu reminded him.

Samarjit reluctantly agreed.

---***---

Abhimanyu wandered aimlessly in the palace, waiting for the sun to rise. He could feel the palace maids staring at him when he wasn't looking. He groaned in annoyance and walked towards the royal garden where, he knew, the maids weren't allowed. Before he could congratulate himself for his brilliant idea, he heard the unmistakable sound of an arrow being drawn from a quiver.  He walked towards the source, only to come face to face with none other than Samyukta.