Chapter 22 - Maharani of Virata

Mayanshi swept her hands against the gleaming surface of the golden throne. Except for the humongous size, there was nothing striking about the chair her father always so fondly spoke of. "Is this where you sit everyday?"

"Yes. And someday my little princess will sit on this magnificent throne." Mahadeva witnessed Mayanshi's coronation hundreds of times in his dreams. He couldn't wait for it to turn to reality.

Only difference was, his Kaushiki's absence. She would never be a part of everything a girl needed her mother for. Nevertheless, he was sure she would be proud seeing her little girl assume her rightful place as Maharani of Virata.

"Will you sit beside me?"

"No, little one."

"But there is enough room for both of us." She started measuring the width with her tiny hands, making her father smile.

"Really? Princess Mayanshi is willing to share?" He pretended to be astounded.

"Only the throne. I won't share my toys with you." She proclaimed. "I'm scared to sit alone."

"You won't be alone. See that chair right there? When you are Queen, I will sit there and help you." He took her hands in his, and promised.

---***---

The last bit of Sun still hid behind the mountains, spreading a golden hue across the trees encapsulating the surface. The city that was usually fast asleep at that hour, looked like it stayed awake the entire night.

Every building of the inherently resplendent city was adorned with flowers and every street was decorated with Rangolis. It was impossible to take in the beauty of the spectacular place in a single glance.

And yet, it wasn't the most beautiful aspect of the empire for Devika. The divinity of her princess could make everything else fade out.

She gently combed the partially wet hair of Mayanshi. The princess had to spend an entire prahar before sunrise, observing rituals, resulting in very little time for getting ready, enough to make all other handmaidens panic. But not Devika. She had foreseen this long ago, and planned accordingly.

After all the maids were satisfied with their work they nodded at Mayanshi, waiting for her approval.

She turned around, expecting the face that stared back at her every time she looked into the mirror. What greeted her was beyond something she could express in words.

"Do you not like it, Yuvarani?" Devika asked nervously.

"No, I... I look like..." Mayanshi gulped before finishing the sentence to calm down. "I look like my mother."

Devika observed a drop of tear glistening in Mayanshi's eye, threatening to roll down her cheek. "Yuvarani, you can't cry. All our hard work will be ruined." She lightened the mood.

"Thank you for making me look so good."

"I wish we could stay, Yuvarani. But we have to go now."

She nodded at them and turned to face the mirror once again, only to notice that something was missing. She figured out what it was and started searching.

"Looking for this?" Samarjit stretched his hand, holding a nose pin.

"Yuvaraja? I wasn't expecting you to visit."

"Me neither. But mother says we are supposed to enter together." He handed over the ornament to her. "You don't usually wear it. Do you?"

"Yes. But I want everything to be perfect today." She tightened the nose pin making the skin turn red.