Chapter 33 - Loyalty

A beautiful answer by one of my favourite celebrities when asked 'What is worth living for?'

This answer has, in more than one way, helped me.

When we start losing hope, it is our duty to remind ourselves that we are capable of making things better, and someday we definitely will.

---***---

Devika stood in a corner, with her head hung. She could hear the faint whispers of the other occupants of the hall. It wasn't difficult to comprehend from their seething glances in her direction, that they blamed her for the queen's current condition.

They hated her. And yet, it was nothing compared to her immense self-loathing.

'Why did my queen have to go through all this to save my worthless life? I bring misfortune to everyone I love. She gave me a family when I had nothing to live for. And this is how I repay her?' She sank to the ground, unable to bear the weight of her misery. 'I wish I were dead.'

A few moments later, she felt a hand on her shoulder. She lifted her head to see Ganesha. She expected him to shout at her.

"What are you doing here, child? Shouldn't you be getting some rest?"

The kindness in his voice was worse than everyone else's fury. She burst into tears.

"Nothing to cry about. Our queen will be fine. She is a lioness." He helped her up. "I will inform you once she regains consciousness. You need to go now."

Dushyanta joined the conversation. "Sriman, if it is fine with her, I will escort her to her chambers and arrange for a physician to visit her."

Ganesha was slightly bemused by the offer. "Why, yes. Thank you Lord Dushyanta. Glad to see someone focusing on their duty rather than sitting idle." He glanced at the nobility.

Devika, despite not wanting to leave, didn't want to make a scene. She obeyed Ganesha.

No one spoke until the physician exited Mayanshi's chambers. "The queen is conscious. She is fine."

Everyone waiting for the news let out a collective sigh. Vaishali stood up. "May I see her now?"

"Yes, Rajamata." The physician stepped aside.

Vaishali entered the room and closed the doors. Mayanshi titled her head in her direction. "You?" She tried to get up, immediately feeling a sharp pain in her right shoulder.

"Lie down, child" said Vaishali.

"Is Devika fine?"

"Yes."

"Are the civilians safe? Did we arrest all the rebels?"

"Yes. Your army from Rudragiri did that yesterday itself. Remember?"