Chapter 14 - A power-hungry Queen

"So, you are keeping an eye on her because our Queen doesn't want Samarjit to get influenced by her?" Dhruvin asked Dushyanta, while choosing weapons for their daily practice. "I am so sorry that you have to be with her when you dislike her immensely."

"I don't dislike her. She is not really as bad as the Queen said she will be. In fact the more you talk to her, the more you will start liking her ideology." Dushyanta chose two sparring swords and gave one to his brother.

"Does that mean you will support her claim?" 

"I never said that. Samarjit is my cousin. Maharani is my aunt. I can't go against my family. I wish we could find a solution. I wish I could do something to put an end to this issue--"

They heard someone clear their throat loudly and stopped speaking immediately. "I don't think you should be discussing this in an open arena. Your aunt might award you death sentence." Mayanshi walked towards them. 

"Yuvarani, forgive us. We thought you might not come here for practice today" said Dhruvin.

"Why did you think so?"

"Because you are not speaking with the prince." Dushyanta said uncertainly.

"That doesn't stop me from practicing. All I need is a new partner." She declared, picking up a sword. "Would you like to join me?" She asked the elder of the two.

"Sure." Dushyanta took his position few feet away from her.

Through the corner of her eye, Mayanshi saw Samarjit arrive. She chose to ignore him and charged towards Dushyanta. He blocked her move efficiently and tried to push her away. She flipped the sword and caught it with her left hand. He seemed to have anticipated this move of hers. He bent slightly. She observed that he was attentive and strong. He made a good opponent. Yet she felt he lacked something. His pace was moderate. He wasn't quick.... unlike Samarjit.

She managed to disarm him using his weakness against him. He stood up and bowed to her. 

"Well done." It was Samarjit who spoke. He approached Mayanshi. "Hope you enjoyed fighting him."

"I did." She answered curtly.

"I believe you. Though it seemed for a moment that you didn't like it. Maybe because he let you win" said Samarjit. "How silly of me! I should have known you like people who step aside and help you move ahead."

"Do you wish to say something?" She asked directly. "Any message from your mother for me?"

"How do you know?"

"Why wouldn't I know?" She replied with another question. "It's always her."

He chose to ignore this and delivered the message. "Your foster parents will arrive by the end of first prahar. You are expected to have lunch with them. And after the lunch we have a security council meeting."

"Security council meeting in such a short notice? Might I ask what we are going to discuss?" She struggled to maintain politeness in her tone, when she wanted to scream at him for accusing her brother.

"You might have heard about the probable alliance of Avantipuram with Indrapuri. They are planning to attack us soon. We need to discuss how we are going to thwart them. Because if they succeed it will be like Rudragiri all over again. Only difference is, this time it will be entire Virata." He explained.

Mayanshi nodded, slightly impressed that he planned to do something at the very least.

---***---

"Welcome to Virata," Vaishali greeted the royal couple of Srimukha. "We are honoured to have you as our guests. If it pleases you, let us go and offer our prayers--"