Chapter 23 - Mahamaya

Mayanshi took one quick glance at her reflection to determine whether anything about her disguise as a maid servant was inaccurate

Mayanshi took one quick glance at her reflection to determine whether anything about her disguise as a maid servant was inaccurate. Meeting her uncle required more efforts than before. For she was the Queen now. Easily recognizable by anyone who worked at the palace. Every step of hers would be scrutinized thoroughly.

Hence, every move of hers had to be planned beforehand, and executed perfectly. Carelessness was a luxury she couldn't afford. Not when the opponent was Samarjit.

Samarjit. The biggest hurdle in her quest. A man of honour. Yet controlled by a self serving mother. A powerful warrior. Yet couldn't make allies to fight battles. A wise and benevolent prince. Yet by no means a strategist.

Time and again he proved her analysis of his character wrong, with his unpredictable deeds. One moment he would look like her biggest support when she least expected it. The next moment he would pose a threat to her position in the name of duty to his people.

She had once given him the benefit of doubt. She wasn't going to repeat the mistake. Not after she witnessed him questioning her authority twice in a span of three days.

He may not be the one to control her directly. But from his words it was evident that he viewed her as a pretty little bird, fit to be locked up in a cage. Most women would give anything to live a life as hers. But not her.

"Maharani, this way." Govardhana approached her. "Father agreed to shift to a safer place."

"Good" She replied curtly. None of them spoke until they reached their destination.

"My little princess is a Queen now. How I wish I were fortunate enough to witness the festivities." Bhairava greeted his niece. "My brother would be proud to see that every hardship you faced and every battle you fought, has only made you stronger."

She sought his blessings. "And he would be proud to see his brother fight alongside his little princess. How fortunate I am to have you as my father figure." She shed a lone tear, while trying to make sure she didn't overdo it. 

Bhairava and Govardhana glanced at each other, happiness oozing from their eyes. "Maya, I... I feel honoured." Her uncle caressed her face and wiped the tear.

"The honour is mine, uncle. A girl who lost her parents is always a burden, regardless of how close she is to the guardians. But here you are, loyal to me even after all these years. Virata will forever have my gratitude, for it reunited me with my family." She paused to see the effect of her words. 

Bhairava's expression resembled that of Raghuveera's, when Mayanshi expressed her love. The only difference was, in the latter's case, it was genuine emotion from his daughter.

"I hope I deserve your affection." She lowered her eyes.

"Why would you say that, Maya?" Bhairava looked troubled by her sadness.