Chapter 37 - Ignorance

Wattpad has been acting strange. It wasn't saving my drafts in the past seven weeks. Imagine typing entire chapter only to see that the second half is gone.

By the way, thank you so much for all the comments on the previous chapters. Sorry I couldn't reply to all of them.

---***---

"You don't look well rested today, Maharani." Samarjit noticed the dark circles beneath Mayanshi's eyes.

"I couldn't sleep yesterday." She sighed drearily at her breakfast which was a plate full of boiled and mashed vegetables without any seasoning.

"Is something bothering you?"

"Nothing. I just feel bored sitting idle all day long. I wish I had someone to talk to when you are not present. But Abhimanyu is busy and Devika is still recovering--"

"I saw her yesterday. She looked fine" said Samarjit, recollecting the girl's strange behavior on seeing him. She hung her head and didn't meet his eye.

Mayanshi frowned. "Are you certain it was her? You might have seen someone else. She would come running to meet me the moment the physicians say she has recovered."

"Maybe I was mistaken." Samarjit lied, as the truth dawned upon him. Devika was being distant. She was avoiding Mayanshi.

After a moment of consideration, he opted to not say anything. It was too personal for Mayanshi and her closest friend for him to interfere.

A guard announced arrival of Samyuka. Mayanshi gestured him to send her in.

"Welcome, Samyukta. Or should I say, sister-in-law?" Mayanshi greeted her playfully.

Samyukta felt heat rising up her cheeks, despite her desperate attempt to not blush. She took a moment to compose herself and greeted the couple.

"I have the list, Maharani."

"What list?" Samarjit asked.

"It was Maharani's idea, Maharaja. There is a scarcity of skilled healers in Virata. We sent 30000 soldiers to war last month. And only three hundred healers accompanied them. Among those, less than half were actually eligible to prescribe medicines. I brought this to the queen's notice. She suggested a solution."

"What's that?"

"I have asked her to gather a list of all educated individuals from the capital city, who are interested in this field. We would train them." Mayanshi replied with a hint of enthusiasm, as of waiting for him to be impressed.

"Alright..." Samarjit looked confused. He couldn't see how it was any different from the usual training procedure for the healers that was being followed since centuries. He checked the list only to discover that the number of applicant was five times the usual range. "What! How?"

Mayanshi smirked at his puzzled expression.

Samyukta bit her lower lip to avoid laughing. The royal couple may have ceased being rivals. But the basic essence of their relationship remained the same. They never stopped being dramatic.

"Maharani asked us to announce that the training will happen here, in the palace. We also informed them that once in a week the royal physician herself would conduct a class for them. That sold the idea." Samyukya divulged the details of their planning. "We will also expand this to other cities in future, based on the success rate of this endeavour."

"Excellent work. Well done. Both of you." Samarjit was impressed. "Let us pass the order in the court tomorrow."

The ladies smiled, while he checked the list once again. Mayanshi observed a frown forming on his face. "Anything wrong, Maharaja?"