Chapter 27 - A childhood memory

Abhimanyu waited for the servant to announce his arrival. His mother took much longer than usual to allow him inside.

"What's going on?" He asked the guard stationed at the entrance of the hall.

"I think it is some important meeting, Yuvaraja."

"With whom?"

"My apologies, Yuvaraja. I have no further knowledge."

Abhimanyu wasn't bothered until he saw someone emerging from the hall. He bowed to the prince hurriedly before walking at a faster pace than usual.

'Amateurs! Don't even know how not to act suspicous.' The prince sighed and entered the hall to meet his mother.

"Abhimanyu. I thought you were supervising the arrangements." Bhargavi stood up.

"I wanted to see you once before leaving."

Bhargavi pulled him into an embrace. "Be careful, my child. It will kill me if anything happens to you."

"Mother, your son is not a little boy anymore. Nothing can harm me. Besides, my dearest brother-in-law will be there too. We will protect each other." He assured her. "Depending on how annoying he's being." He added, in an attempt to lighten the mood.

To his surprise, it had the opposite effect on her. The mention of Samarjit seemed to have deeply saddened her. "Amma. What is it? You look terrible."

"Nothing. I was just thinking about your sister. It hasn't even been three weeks since her wedding."

"So, I gather the man who so hastily exited before I could speak with him, was her messenger."

"How do you know he was a messenger?" She asked sharply.

"So, you confirm it was from her. Why wasn't anyone at the court notified of this message then?" He enquired in a slightly accusatory tone.

"A daughter's letter to her mother carries nothing that concerns the court" said Bhargavi. "It is basic knowledge that any letter that doesn't contain her royal seal is of personal nature."

"How do you know the sender was her when there is no royal seal? It could be anyone."

"Are you doubting my intelligence? How did I know the letters you sent through bird courier, back when you were in Virata, were actually from you?" Her question resulted in a confused look from her son. "Just like you and I have a secret code which no one else knows, I have one with Maya too. A more secured method."

"More secured? Does she use wolves instead of birds? Or even better. Sharks?" He muttered.

Bhargavi let out an amused chortle. "Contrary to what you just said, you will always be a little boy. Now, go take your father's blessings before the prayer starts." She dismissed him.

As soon as he left, she sent for Senapati Karthikeya.

"Maharani, everything is ready for the journey. If you would like a detailed report, I could fetch it for you" said the army chief.

"That's not why I wished to see you, Senapati garu. I have some special instructions for you which you have to follow discreetly after we win the war." She signaled for him to sit down which indicated it was an important discussion.

"I need someone who would carry out the task assigned without questions. That's why I chose you. A man whose loyalty is an example for several generations to come." She continued.

"I will do my best, Maharani."

"I know you would. I expect nothing less of you, Senapati garu." She nodded. "I feared what I am about to ask of you is too much. But not anymore, now that you have assured me otherwise."