Chapter 18 - Reluctant sharing

I don't feel so good. Few kind words of motivation, if possible.

---***---

"I believe I told you I don't want to be seen in your company. You disobeyed me. You better have a satisfying explanation." Mayanshi folded her arms.

"Maya, I had to come. You are making a blunder and I must stop you." Bhairava covered his face with the end of his turban. "Are you sure you want to talk here?" He scanned the surroundings of the Lotus pond to check whether they were being observed.

"This placed has been closed down for several weeks since the attack. I assure you, no one will come here." Mayanshi glanced at the entrance of the temple where Govardhana stood guard.

"Maya, you shouldn't do this."

"Do what?" She whisper-yelled. "Be quick. I am getting late for my Gauri pooja."

"You can't marry Samarjit. It is not as advantageous as you think" said Bhairava.

Mayanshi was annoyed. "Why are you so hellbent on making me call off my wedding?" 

"It's because you think you have upper hand in this alliance. But it's not the case." Bhairava spoke with urgency in his tone. 

"Why not? I am providing an army."

"An army, which combined with Virata army, will amount to 60000. Which, in my opinion, will easily defeat the combined forces of Avantipuram and Indrapuri."

Mayanshi closed her eyes and summoned the strength she gathered from several years of training, to prevent herself from shouting at him. "Isn't that the basic intention here, uncle? To defeat our enemies and protect our people."

"What after that?" asked Bhairava.

"I don't understand."

"More like you don't want to understand. You will be valued as long as they are benefited from your help. The moment they win the war, they will no longer need you."

"Are you trying to imply that they will kill me after that? If that is bothering you, I suggest you rid yourself of this fear. Even after the war, I will still have Srimukha's protection. They know that. They are not in a position to act against me." Mayanshi dismissed his worries.

"It is true that they will not eliminate you. But it is also true that your position will not be as strong as it is now. Once we have defeated the enemies from the south, forces of Srimukha will return to their empire. So will your family. And Virata will start functioning normally. Who will remember that their Queen helped them so much when they have a king, who is popular among the masses, supervising the administration? You will be forgotten and he will be hailed as the hero who saved Virata." Bhairava explained patiently.

Mayanshi was slightly alarmed. What he spoke made sense. Yet she was not in a position to call off the wedding. It was the best option she had. "I... I am grateful to you for bringing this to my notice. I promise to figure out a solution and strengthen my position here before we win the war. Now I request you to leave. Govardhana will reach the palace by noon." 

Bhairava tried to say something, but she cut him off. "Please, uncle. You can't stay here. It's too dangerous. You have to go. We will meet later." 

---***---

"Where have you been?" asked Vaishali. "The Gauri Pooja starts at second prahar."

"My apologies. I remembered that my father used to pray at the Hanuman temple before starting a new task. And I am about to begin a new life. I prayed to the Lord to give me strength."