Chapter 34 - Reunion

I'm so sorry for the delay. Past few weeks have been very difficult. I missed you all.

Also, I have resumed my other story 'The Umbrella Partner'. If you are interested, please do read.

---***---

"Wait!" Abhimanyu stepped in front of Samarjit to stop him. "This is madness."

Samarjit pushed him out of the way and kicked the door open. "Leave!" He bellowed a command to the physician attending to Govardhana, who darted out of the room.

Abhimanyu entered the room, panting. "Maharaja! Please. Don't do this." He held Samarjit's hand in a tight grip, preventing him from striking an unconscious Govardhana.

"Why shouldn't I? This man betrayed my family. My mother and wife would have been dead because of him. He deserves to die."

"But he is our prisoner. You cannot kill him now. It will bring you dishonour."

"Dishonour? You weren't worried about honour when the prince of Avantipuram surrendered. You would have beheaded him then and there." Samarjit reminded him.

"Yes. But I stopped. Do you know why? Because of you. You made me realise what I was about to do, was wrong. Rage and fury cloud our judgement. Had I went ahead with my initial plan back then, I would have regretted it now." Abhimanyu said calmly, though his heart was pounding.

Samarjit stood still, gripping his sword. His knuckles turned white. He seemed to comprehend the words.

"Give him a fair trial." Abhimanyu continued. "He might be an enemy to the crown. But he saved my sister's life. For that, I will eternally be grateful to him."

"Grateful for what?" Samarjit was annoyed again. "She wouldn't have needed saving if it wasn't for his schemes to harm her. How can you forgive the man who backstabbed your sister? Don't you--"

"Backstabbing her?" Abhimanyu asked indignantly. "You mean like how you backstabbed her by conspiring with the courtiers against her?"

"What?"

"Didn't you go behind her back, convincing your ministers that she needed to stay here? And then you imposed this decision on her, telling her not to fight in the war, disregarding the fact that it was she who brought this massive army together."

"Abhimanyu, I agree I did that. But I had a valid reason. She was keeping secrets from all of us. I thought she was acting against the interests of the throne." Samarjit struggled to explain without offending him.

"Right. Because King Samarjit's reasons are always valid. He can do as he wishes and no one is supposed to question him." Abhimanyu scoffed at him. "You want to kill Govardhana? By all means go ahead. But don't act like you are a saint and everyone else is a sinner." He stepped aside and released his grip on the young king's hand.

Samarjit felt like he had been punched in the gut. He opened his mouth several times to defend his actions. But his voice disowned him.

The truth was staring at him in the face. He made her stay back. Which eventually led to her getting stabbed. He knew what happened in his absence wasn't his fault. But he couldn't shake off the feeling of guilt. And it occurred to him that it was this guilt that caused his fury.

After what felt like hours, he finally spoke. "You are right. I am sorry."

"I am not saying this to make you feel miserable. I just don't want anything to disrupt the peace we all have worked so hard to achieve. Just give him a fair trial. "

Samarjit nodded. "Fair trial it is. Whether he walks free or gets executed, it will be decided in the court."

Abhimanyu heaved a sigh of relief.