Chapter 3 - Rightful heir

Telugu words in the chapter:

Shubhodayam: Good morning; Gurupatni: Wife of royal priest;

Prahar: A unit of time in ancient India. A day is divided into 8 prahars. First Prahar starts at sunrise.

---***---

"Abhimanyu. You are being sent with your sister, because you are the only one whose advice she heeds to. I want you to promise me that the moment you find anything remotely suspicious or you feel there is a threat to your lives, you will return. You are responsible for bringing her back safely." Bhargavi instructed her son.

"Amma, what if she refuses? She loves her empire. I doubt whether she would return just because her life is in danger."

"She will, if we offer her a province and ask her to govern it. She will live her life here, as a noble lady." Bhargavi explained what she planned for Mayanshi.

"I have a doubt. Akka is older than me by eight months. Isn't she? She is already given princess status in Srimukha. Why don't we just offer her the throne?" asked Abhimanyu. "Just a random thought." He added hastily.

"You have to understand, Abhimanyu. I can give her mother's love, but I cannot give her your birthright. I married a king and gave him an heir." Bhargavi spoke sternly. "Besides, our subjects won't accept her as our ruler. Her mother married someone from neighbouring empire. She belongs to Virata more than she could ever belong here."

Abhimanyu looked puzzled at the last part. Bhargavi noticed this. She spoke her next words softly. "Don't misunderstand me. What I mean is, it is acceptable for a princess of another kingdom to be given the honorary title of a princess in Srimukha. It is also acceptable to let her govern a province. But anything more than that will rise a debate on her eligibility. For there will always be people who view her as an outsider. Any reign that starts like this won't last long. Which is why she is ill suited to rule Srimukha."

"I understand, amma." Abhimanyu nodded.

---***---

"Are you sure about this, Maya?" Raghuveera sat next to Mayanshi, under a huge neem tree.

"I've only wanted one thing my entire life. To go back to my empire and serve my people." Mayanshi replied without looking at him. Though she had been preparing herself for a week, it was hard to part with him, when the moment arrived.

They sat without speaking for a long time, before Raghuveera spoke up. "You remind me of her. You know that. Right?"

She nodded. He continued. "I lost her once. If something happens to you, it will be like losing her again."

"Nanna." She held his hands. "I will be fine. If you don't trust me, at least trust the training you have provided. I'm your daughter. No one can harm me that easily." She assured him. They stood and returned to the pooja hall.

"Shubhodayam, yuvarani." Someone greeted Mayanshi. She turned around to see the army chief of a small but prosperous land, Rudragiri.

"Senapati Narendra? How are you? When did you arrive here?" Mayanshi rushed forward to meet him.

"I arrived last night on King Raghuveera's invitation." He replied. "Our King Someshwar has sent his regards. He has asked me to assure you that, should there be any attack on you, our spies stationed in Virata will rescue you and escort you to the border of Srimukha." He gave her an encrypted list of their names and how to identify them. "I know King Raghuveera has already arranged everything. But we would be satisfied only if we do our part in protecting you."

"Thank you, noble sir. I will never forget this." Mayanshi smiled at him. Rudragiri was once an integral part of Virata. During her grandfather's rule, Avantipuram occupied the city. For more than half a century, the citizens of Rudragiri were treated like slaves. After witnessing the atrocities against them and lack of help from Virata, Mayanshi decided to save them.