Chapter 5 - Secrets and Conspiracies

Click baited you all!!

Just kidding. I know that if I don't update now, you will throw eggs and tomatoes at me.

The picture attached in the header is a moodboard made by me. My first try. How is it?

---***---

Abhimanyu woke up much earlier than required and walked cautiously towards the highest tower in the west wing, trying to make it look like he was admiring the beauty of the palace. After reaching his destination, he turned around and started scanning the surroundings. Nobody seemed to have followed him there. He took a deep breath and made a weird whistling noise, thrice.

A pigeon appeared out of nowhere, landing on his shoulder. He extracted a letter concealed in the folds of his clothes and tied it to the bird's leg. "Take it to amma. No one else." He whispered and threw it out of the window. The bird fluttered around a good ten feet, before flying away steadily.

Feeling relieved, he turned around, only to be greeted by a frowning Samarjit. "Shubhodayam, Prince Abhimanyu. What brings you here at this time of the day?"

"Yuvaraja! It's an honour to meet you and to be greeted by you again. At my place they believe that your day depends on the first person you see that morning. I am guessing my day will be great, because it is you." Abhimanyu tried to divert Samarjit's attention.

"I presume they also teach you how to speak delightfully enchanting words that win everyone's heart at your place" said Samarjit, clearly indicating that he wasn't going to fall prey to the brother-sister duo's sweet words.

"We just speak the truth, Yuvaraja. Glad you find them delightful."

"You still haven't answered my question. Not that you are obliged to answer. Maybe it was something personal. Or you wouldn't have used bird courier instead of sending letters the normal way."

Abhimanyu's heart sank. He understood that Samarjit saw him sending the letter. "No. It wasn't personal. I just sent a letter to one of my friends. Haven't spoken with her since I've started for Virata." He lied.

"Her?" Samarjit's face broke into a smile.

"Just an acquaintance. Nothing more." Abhimanyu tried to blush. "Are you going to start your practice now?"

"Not yet. Waiting for your sister to join me. After dueling with her, I'm unable to enjoy my daily practice with anyone else." Samarjit spoke honestly. "We should duel someday too, if you would like it." They started descending the stairs.

"I'm afraid, I'm not as good a swordsman as you." Abhimanyu admitted without any inhibition.

"But you are a better archer than I am. From what I've heard you are the best archer of our times in Bharatvarsha. We could have an archery competition instead of dueling with swords. It'll be fun."

"Either way, it won't be a fair fight." Abhimanyu objected. "Competition should be held between two individuals of equal calibre."

"Like me and your sister?" asked Samarjit. "Two individuals of equal calibre. Capable of destroying each other. Yet we make our moves lawfully, without hiding anything." He made it clear that he didn't buy Abhimanyu's lie.

---***---

"Greetings to the Princess." Dushyanta approached Mayanshi. "Your cousin is not here yet?"

"Lord Dushyanta. Did you mean my brother?" asked Mayanshi. She nodded curtly at Dhruvin, who smiled at her.

"Forgive me, princess. But you weren't legally adopted by your aunt and uncle. That makes Prince Abhimanyu, your cousin, though you may claim to be as close as siblings." Dushyanta tried to mock her again.