Chapter 4 - The Silver-Tongued Strategist

Telugu words in the chapter:

Annadanam = Offering of food to a big group of people, as a part of tradition

A long update to compensate for the long absence. Can I expect a long comment? Please. I need motivation.

---***---

Mayanshi woke up earlier than usual. She started getting ready all by herself. She braided her hair. She considered performing few warm up exercises in her bed chambers. But she couldn't afford to be late. Not when the opponent was Samarjit.

"Is Goddess Mahamaya ready?" She heard Abhimanyu's voice.

"Stop calling me that." She chuckled.

"Then what should I call you? How about the other name I gave you? The illusionist?" He asked.

"You're late. Did you oversleep?"

"My chamber is on the other end. I have to walk all the way from there to reach this wing. And then there are these maid servants staring at me, making me feel uncomfortable." He led her out.

"Be careful, Abhimanyu. Some of them might be the dowager Queen's spies." Mayanshi said thoughtfully.

"What makes you think so, akka? Why would she use them as spies?"

"Because no one suspects women. A queen as clever as her would definitely recruit female spies." Mayanshi lowered her voice, walking briskly.

Abhimanyu stopped dead in his tracks. He seemed to be in a deep thought. She gave him a questioning look. "Queen Vaishali would recruit female spies." He repeated her words. 

"Anything wrong?"

"Nothing." He followed her. "The arena we seek is this way."

"How do you know?"

"I can hear someone practicing." He replied. 

And he was right. Samarjit was already there. "Shubhodayam, Yuvarani. Glad to meet you, Yuvaraja."

"Call me Abhimanyu, please." Abhimanyu joined his palms in a formal Namaste.

"You are an early bird, I presume?" asked Mayanshi.

"It would be rude to keep a woman waiting." Samarjit pointed at two men, one of who, looked elder to him while the other one looked younger. "These are my cousins. Dushyanta and Dhruvin."

"Greetings to the prince and princess of Srimukha. I hope you both would stay here for a considerable time before returning to your kingdom" said Dushyanta. It was evident that he was mocking her. Abhimanyu was furious. He was about to say something when Mayanshi stopped him.

"Thank you. I hope you don't mind if I stay here forever, er, forgive me I am unaware of your title. Is it 'Yuvaraja'? It can't be. You are not the progeny of a ruler. Unlike me." She smiled sweetly, making it clear that her position was higher than his. 

"Yuvarani, my cousin commands a sect of our army. So, it's Lord Dushyanta." Samarjit answered her question.

"Thank you." She smiled again. 

Before Dushyanta could answer, Samarjit spoke up. "This way, please."

Mayanshi examined the weapons. "These are sparring swords."

"Right you are. Can't afford to injure you while practicing. Choose your weapon." He gave her the right to choose. 

She picked two blades that were slightly longer than daggers and significantly shorter than swords. "Are you sure about your choice?" He frowned.