- toothpaste -

—☁︎︎—

Friday 9th August 1974

Friday 9th August 1974. - 10:12pm

— EVETTE ONCE SAID that for people to know your secrets you have to be willing to die for them, because sometimes those secrets are the type of tellings that could get you killed. In Evette's case, that was certainly true. But now it seemed like everyone was beginning to work out a secret of hers and it was certainly people she did not trust with a tube of toothpaste, let alone her life.

Speaking of toothpaste.

"Mum, where's the toothpaste?" She said, 8 days after moping around in pyjamas and concerning herself over her future. Her mother had no clue about what had happened, she certainly didn't watch the news nor care for stupid gossip on the radio. Thankfully for Evette, she was none the wiser about the revelation.
"We ran out. I was hoping you'd go out and get some since you haven't gone anywhere in the past week." Evette rolled her eyes and pulled on her black, leather blazer and boots.
"I'll be back soon."
"Oh and Eve, are you okay?" Evette didn't respond through word of mouth but a simple nod and a raised eyebrow as if to say 'of course I am why wouldn't I be?'. Delia didn't think anything more of it.

God knows why the toothpaste felt important enough to leave the house at 10 o clock at night and go buy some, but Evette's mouth felt so grimy since this morning when she used up the toothpaste but assumed there was more left in the tube. The night wasn't distracting to her agenda at all but she did take heed that many more threats stirred at night and for this reason she was more aware of her surroundings then usual. The street lights of Santa Monica were surely enough comfort for her to go buy some toothpaste.

Approaching the nearest 7Eleven, Evette took note of the emptiness of the street apart from one black 4x4 that she had never seen before but she supposed that the summer holidays most likely drew either tourists or people returning home, so she didn't spare it another thought. The placard, which emanated light, eased her conscience a little with the idea of a public place and another human being in sight. Entering the shop, a small bell chimed and the cashier looked up in notice before waving a little with a smile. He was a burly man of South Asian heritage that was assumable by the tone of his skin that resembled melted bronze or perhaps a chocolate concoction.

Evette meandered her way through the total 6 isles, picking up the desired product to clean her mouth as well as some mouthwash because she felt the need for it. She also seemingly gave in the temptation to buy some chocolate, but realising how much worse it would make her mouth feel, she decided against it at the last second.

"You know what? No." She said turning around and putting the bar of chocolate back and the cashier chuckled at her indecisiveness.
"Diet?" She scoffed at the hilarity of the idea and shook her head in automatic dispute.
"Definitely not." He looked over at her and smiled even more.
"You don't need to anyway." Evette had no problem with replying.
"I know." She grabbed the toothpaste and mouthwash and exited the store with no other words.

The plastic bag she had felt heavier now then it was when she first left and took note of her tiredness that sprung up on her like some sort of killer disease. Fatigue was her greatest weakness since being diagnosed with an under active thyroid and being on medication that was still not quite right, her sleeping pattern was extremely weak. Often times she was exhausted to the point that she would dose off in the middle of a lecture. By now everyone seemed to be used to it, it's not like she wouldn't pass the test anyway and get top of the class anyway.

She was a natural at her subjects.

As Eve got closer to the apartment above her mothers workplace, she felt another presence around her for the first time since the shop. She turned and was met with a little girl dressed in a pure white dress... well Evette almost screamed but stepped back a little instead to calm herself down.
"You can see me?" The little girl muttered with hope, once lost and now found again, in her eyes. Evette shook her head and turned around before heading back home but feeling the girl circle her to be in front.
"Can you find my mommy?" She asked and Evette stopped as the girl began to weep quietly.
"I can't, now please leave me alone."

"Watch out!" The little girl screamed as Evette was hit in the face by an unknown force that felt like a fist. She dropped the bag and stumbled back before meeting the eyes of her assaulter. "Oh no." The little girl said before disappearing.
"What the fuck dude?!" Evette yelled as her nose bled into her new jacket.
The man grabbed her by the jacket and slammed a needle filed with rohypnol into her neck that would hastily leave her unconscious. Evette didn't have the chance to fully see her attacker but all she could recall was something extremely cold slipping beneath her coat as they picked her up. She felt herself grow drowsier in the arms of the attacker and soon slipped from consciousness altogether.

Evette's attacker placed her on the back seat of their car, covering her with a blanket so no one would notice the body in back, before getting into the drivers seat with no hesitation. They would have to spend the night at the house Hydra had supplied for interrogation where a doctor would be waiting to complete the extraction of information. The soldier was to keep watch during the entirety of the session, make sure that nothing was done to the girl that would effect the way she would help the organisation. The soldier had no idea what the girl was supposed to have done or was supposed to do for the organisation and he planned to keep it that way, not caring for the girls assets as the next time he woke up, she would probably be dead.

He doubted that after tomorrow, he would ever see her again.