- penthouse suite -

—☁︎︎—

Sunday 11th August 1974 - 2:43pm

— BUCKY RECOGNISED the place immediately, it was a well known Hydra stronghold, practically impenetrable and hardly gentle on its inhabitants, especially the unwilling ones. The stone walls were high and amidst the grey, dull sky it was truly a force to be reckoned with. Evette seemed fairly calm for the moment, he held her arm firmly, trying to convey a message of reassurance through touch, and as he did so he began to map out the building. The corridors were winding and held no particular pattern on a singular floor, but he knew that almost every floor (bar the castle-like turrets) were a replicate of one another. He took notice of the doors and the walls surrounding them, whether the windows were reinforced glass or the lower levels were more heavily guarded then those higher up. He studied the guards themselves too, who would be easy to take out and who he might not risk hand-to-hand because of the noise their body could make hitting the floor.

He looked at Evette, her eyes still conveyed her focus but her quivering lip told him a different story. She rubbed her hands against one another and at that moment all he wanted was to postpone his vigorous planning to get her out and improvise there and then; but he knew this method could get severely Evette hurt and he wasn't going to take any risks. The woman had bought him back out from underneath this layer of black tar that he had been screaming under and gagging on for the past 30 years, and Bucky certainly wasn't about to let the bastard stood behind him (who had been eyeing up Evette like a stick of meat the entire time) take the chance of freedom away from him.

Emil Pavlović.

That was his name, and god was it infuriating to see him in person once again. He had been in charge of the Serbian Hydra base for a while now and he had always made him feel sick. Everything about his troglodytic demeanour and disgusting treatment of anything that breathed was enough to bring the Winter Soldier to hate his presence and Bucky to loathe his very existence. There was something about him that didn't agree with his stomach, the churning of which began whenever he was around because he seemed so inhuman and against the idea of emotion that he could almost pass off as dead.

"Here's your bridal suite Miss Green, with your co-operation we can move you to the penthouse." He teased and opened the door to a small concrete room with just one window, a toilet and a bed with a mattress thinner than paper.
"If you think you're getting anything more than 2 stars, you'd be wrong." She says, sighing and walking into the holding cell and watching as for the first time in a while there was a wall between her and Bucky.
"Soldat, watch her; if there is any trouble then knock her down without hesitation." Bucky nods as coldly as he can manage with the request his superior puts in place that makes him want to smash his face into a wall. He takes one more look at Evette with a small smile and leaves with the other two henchmen. Bucky remains by the door before looking around to see if it would be clear to enter. He does so with a few minutes of caution and monitoring of the sounds around the fortress-like building, where footsteps seemed to echo like the ocean in a sea shell.

"Evette." He mutters, stepping in the room and seeing her stone cold face as she is sat on the floor with her back against the bed frame. The room is larger then he thought, but he often compared rooms to the tiny room he had become akin to in the last 30 years; which was a small, stone cell in the Siberia mountains.
"Hello." She says with a small, withered smile. Bucky falters at her tone, she didn't sound defeated, but tired of this already because she felt as if there was no end in sight. Bucky automatically began to plan more meticulously in his mind, hoping with his observations that in two days from now they would be out and together. He had organised transport and escape but he was concerned about the front gate. Driving through said gate with the almost new 4x4 he had planned to steal, that sat in the driveway unused, would cause serious damage to the car and draw attention when they were out, but if he somehow found a way to disable the guards, opening the gate would draw serious attention too and there would be a base lockdown. It would be impossible to free Evette in time.

As of now, the plan was incomplete and scattered but with a couple more days there would be enough time for him to plan and get them both out and together they would be free. He would protect her, look out for her as... a friend?
"Are we-..."
"Friends?" She asked and chuckled a little, amused by the conversation.
"Sure, why not?" Bucky almost smiled, unbelieving of the idea of having a friend. The loneliness inside his heart had begun to heal because of this one woman, who he seemingly hardly knew, yet felt like he had known his entire life.
"I will get us out of here, I just need a bit of time, whatever they do to you..." he trailed off, not wanting to think of the endless possibilities "I will get you out just... stay strong."

Evette stood and walked over to Bucky, the soldier stepping back, unsure of what her intentions were. She gently placed her hand up onto his shoulder, he looked at the touch, confused by its clemency and gentleness, something he hadn't experienced in a very long time.
"I know and... I'll be fine."
Bucky wasn't sure that was true because he too had faced the horrors of Hydra and even with all the strength in the world...

Everyone has a breaking point.