- epilogue -

—☁︎︎—

— IT WAS UNLIKELY THAT EVETTE AND BUCKY would ever be the same again

It was that day in the Alps for him, the day he died and came back with one less arm and a myriad more problems that stretched further then the Great War that was going on without him. For her, it was that summer night in August where all she had wanted was toothpaste and ended up with a lover who happened to be one of the most infamous assassins the world had never known.

Typical Evette.

To say that loneliness prior to their meeting was what Evette had suffered from for years wouldn't be... untrue. Perhaps it was her daddy issues or the fact she found it difficult to make friends, but deep down she knew she was all alone. Her mother was hardly a comfort and in fact often posed the opposite effect where she was more of an annoyance. Without any relationships to build on, she found herself instead seeking comfort in politics and finding others who shared her beliefs, and some were even prepared to follow her to have them heard. It seemed that even the breach into the political field was only a temporary cure.

Until she had found Bucky.

In all of her dreams, she had never imagined meeting someone whose personality was so perfectly united with her own. They fit together so perfectly it was like the final piece of the puzzle being slotted into the centre to create the most impeccable image one had ever laid eyes on. When she thought back to the last time she was with Bucky, the real Bucky, she savoured that Italian phrase of him confessing her love and never let every intonation of his beautifully gentle tone slip her mind. Bucky was to her what the stars were to the moon, an array of lights that kept her company in the darkest of times and even when no one could see her, her stars were always there.

To Bucky, Evette was more akin to the sun, a beacon of warmth that never disappeared even in the darkness. He remembered the time she had stood in the highway, half naked physically and fully naked mentally whilst she basked in the warmth of the rays melting down onto the tarmac. He could've sworn he'd never seen anything so beautiful, even when he and Steve had gone to the see The Wizard of Oz at the pictures and the beautiful colours of Dorothy's ruby slippers had kept him up at night, she was something so much more than a comparison and was certainly in a league of her own. She was empathetic and selfless, combined with a headstrong attitude that didn't allow any injustices to come of him or anyone undeserving.

Evette had seen him as a human being and spoke to him as one, she had treated him with compassion and gentleness that was as foreign to him as the person he had been painted to be. She had almost made him believe he wasn't the Winter Soldier, almost made him believe that that part of his life was over; and in those few moments of belief, he had never been happier.

But then reality comes crashing down like ten ton weights and there's nothing you can do but he flattened by it.

It was unlikely that Evette and Bucky would ever be the same, but truly, they hadn't wanted to be the same from the moment they had fallen in love.

And it would take a lot more than a freezer and amnesia to break that bond.