- mother -

—☁︎︎—

Saturday 24th August 1974 - 10:46am

— "OWEN WE HAVE NOTHING okay... it's time for me to just-... to just face up to it, that she's-..."
"That she's what?! That she's dead?!" He yelled, walking over to the open window of Delia's apartment that they had been camping in for the past few days, going through everything Evette ever wrote or read that was stored in her room. They had to start somewhere, and with no leads, Evette was the only consistency.
"Delia no, for some goddamn reason over the time I've been doing this investigation I've come to see Evette as a daughter of my own. I've read everything that was ever personal to her, I've read her book she was planning to publish about women's rights and have been persuaded by everything she has had to argue, even things that I thought were never wrong or demeaning. She's opened my eyes and I'm not letting her just be forgotten like she was no one." Owen had never spoken so emotionally and openly with Delia about how he felt about her daughter and the woman was overwhelmed.
"There is nothing Owen... there is nothing here in her stupid room or down at that STUPID LITTLE SHOP OKAY?! There is nothing! You hear me? There is no-..." she was interrupted by a knock on the door, no doubt the first knock since about 3 weeks ago for when Delia had a delivery.

Owens eyes darted towards the door and reached behind him into his trousers to grab his firearm, perhaps taking too much of a precaution, but considering the downstairs was closed and the only way in was through the back door which needed a key or a pair of strong bolt cutters, Owen was suspicious.
"Get away from the door Delia." He whispered and the woman did so before the officer made his way to the wall beside the door. "Who is it?!" His voice called out and there was no reply apart from a few indistinct mutters from two voices of different timbres. The door was suddenly broken open and Owen moved quickly to circle the door and aim his gun. He was met with a man who stood a little taller than himself, with shoulder length brown hair and a stare that would cause a mans adrenaline to go into overdrive.

"Who the hell are you?" A feminine voice called out from the behind the abnormally large man, who was dubiously dressed in an all black getup during summertime. The woman - who's voice he had formerly heard - stepped out from behind him and Owen gently lowered his gun at the sight of her. "Where is my mother?" Bucky had already jumped to conclusions fast enough to disarm the officer, whilst he was distracted, to ensue a fight that Evette could only roll her eyes at. She watched on as they scuffled for a moment before she noticed his police badge and rushed to pick up the gun.
"Bucky stop." She commanded and the man let go of Owen as she handed the gun to Bucky. "Disarm it." He did so and placed it on the kitchen counter. Owen held his stomach and could barely breathe from the knee of the strange man that had collided with his rib cage in amongst the scuffle.

"I'll ask again, where is my mother?"

Evette spoke firmly, not in the mood to play games with what she believed to be a Hydra spy dressed as a cop.

"Evette?"

The girl herself turned to see her mother and sighed in relief as she stepped forward to embrace her, but upon doing so noticed that her mother's eyes had focused on the soldier. She was wide eyed and frozen in her place at the sight of the man and she hadn't even glanced at her missing daughter, perhaps in fear of him disappearing in front of her eyes.
"Mother?" The girl asked before Delia breathed in and stepped back watching as Bucky's face morphed into a subtle confusion at the woman's expression. "Mother?!" Evette exclaimed and the woman pulled Evette behind her in a defensive motion.
"Y-... you?"
"You know him?" Evette said as she was pushed back into her room where her mother had been hiding.
"Yes." Delia sighed out in petrification.

REDONDO BEACH, CALIFORNIA

Monday 13th May 1949 - 3:04am.

21 year old Delia had hardly opened her eyes before she was tugged from the comfort of her mattress, a gloved hand encasing her lips in a tight hold and hands being bound behind her back by another harsh fist. She panicked, leant forward and slammed her head back as hard as she could into her attacker before running from her room and towards her kitchen where she could call the police and grab a knife. To no avail, of course. The girl was once again grabbed, but this time by her nightie, before being yanked back into the clutches of the man who had attempted to silence her. She spun into his arms and bashed her elbow on something solid metal.

Finally she was able to meet his eyes.

And that was the only thing she would be meeting.

His face was half covered in some sort of breathing device, or perhaps a muzzle like a badly behaved dog. Before she knew it, she was being dragged out of the house and into a van that held no resemblance to anything she had ever seen. Delia screamed in anguish and held such hope that someone in the small neighbourhood would hear her, but no one did. Her arms were bound and her mouth, gagged, only her feet, her eyes and her mind felt free, and that was all she needed to get out. She struggled in the lone mans arms and before long he had hit her around the back of the skull to temporarily demobilise her for awhile.

Delia awoke a few hours later, the man was staring into space and as her eyes were so heavy she was almost tempted to fall back into unconsciousness, but knew she couldn't do that. If she did, it might be her end. She kept her breathing steady and began to circulate her memory to all her mothers spell book. She hadn't believed in its authenticity, but if she could see dead people now, maybe magic wasn't too out of the question. Delia finally remembered the exact pronunciation and screamed it with her arm stretched out. The wall behind the man collapsed in its entirety and he was flung through the gap, she did so again with the driver and managed to take the wheel and turn the van around. She knew where she was and could only look back at the man that would leave her with sleepless nights for the rest of her life.

PRESENT

Saturday 24th August 1974 - 10:58am.

Evette glanced over to her saviour and friend, Bucky, as he heard the retelling of a story where he appeared as the villain and couldn't even remember it happening.
"Mother... I think if you knew what he had-..." Evette was interrupted by her mothers sudden yell.
"I can't sleep! I can't sleep... because of him!" She stood suddenly and Bucky took a sudden step back from the woman.

"I don't give a damn what you have to say to me, I'm not letting you leave with him."