- better -

—☁︎︎—

Friday 23rd August 1974 - 11:47pm

— BUCKY RAISED THE GUN and struck officer Hayward over the head, the painful yells of Vardy still in the background - as he gripped his torn shoulder - now joining the sound of Hayward's body hitting the floor. Evette's eyes shut in relief as Bucky threw the gun away nonchalantly into the grass, rushing towards his companion and pulling her off the car before turning her around to meet gazes. She fell into his arms, exhausted and heartbroken and Bucky could only oblige. Breaking her cuffs off with ease and discarding of them, her wrists finally free to cover herself with the ineptly removed clothes once again (without Bucky so much as taking a look out of respect) he finally glances at the second officer.

The soldier left the woman to compose herself whilst he dealt with the remaining officer, who faced a similar fate to his superior. He squealed just like the pig he is before Bucky bashed his head in with just one punch to cause complete unconsciousness. The soldier searched the car to destroy any tracking devices installed and used a simple jagged knife to disable the car itself by blowing out all four tyres. He threw the scumbags bodies into the moor-like land and left them to wake up. He had also managed to find a well worn leather jacket and by the smell of it, belonged to woman. Without much time to contemplate, he took it and returned back to the truck with extra gas for the journey, as well as the jacket for Evette.

Speaking of whom, had not been holding up so well.

The shock of the entire altercation had caused an extreme panic attack to set in that Evette had been holding off since she first woke up hours ago, it had got to the point of such breathlessness that she had no choice but to allowed the attack to seep in like sand moulded to the shape of a bucket. Bucky watched on from beside her in the car as she struggled to breathe and with multiple second guessing, Bucky decided to take her hand on his, hoping it would calm her down. Evette seemed to receptive to it at first, but rescinded it as she opened the door to vomit into the road whilst the car was still unmoving. After a few more minutes, the rise and fall of her chest evened out and from her exhaustion she had slipped back into slumberland.

Bucky made no mistake to waste time and started up the truck once again, heading down the lonely road with only sleeping beauty as his company. He flashed his eyes to the radio and denied himself the leisure of deciding such a thing, before realising, he was with Evette, and Evette let him choose. His finger hovered over the power button and for a moment, he almost recoiled from it, before realising that whatever was on the radio would make a change from stark silence. He hadn't heard music since 1952 when an assassination took place by an active record player, he couldn't recall the name of the song, but the tune had cemented itself in his head, even after they had wiped him clean so many times all these years later.

His finger followed his command and within seconds a song he had never heard of began to play, it sounded unlike anything he could remember hearing before and could only come to enjoy the company from the mans voice.
"David Bowie?" An unexpected backing vocalist came into Bucky's ear and he turned his head to Evette, her face holding such melancholy but attempting to hide it beneath a cocktail of exhaustion and relief. "I didn't take you for a Bowie kind of guy." She attempted to chuckle but clutched her ribs as she did so, being slammed onto a bonnet and raped did not help her already broken body.
"I like him." Bucky said, as Rebel Rebel sounded throughout the car, surprisingly suiting the mood of their getaway.
"It's different to what-... well to what I remember music to be like." Evette nodded in understanding.
"So is this our getaway song now?"
Bucky smiled a little and nodded.

They drove through the night and into the morning where for the first time in weeks, Evette laid eyes on the sun. She awoke to the car at a halt as they rested in a lay by, she insisted Bucky get some rest because she'd had a tragic enough week and did not want to die in a car accident because he fell asleep at the wheel. Bucky assured he would never let that happen but she was insistent nonetheless. Evette slept deeply, her thyroid was no doubt helping and since she hadn't got any medication she welcomed the sleep that hid her away from the problems in the awake world; but Bucky slept so lightly that she would move and he would awaken with a flash, his hand bringing itself to his holster without a second thought. Every single time, they were safe and sound but as more time passed, he only grew more and more on edge. As the sun was finally rising, he knew it must've been about 6 hours since the police incident on the road and he had been driving so fast that there was little chance they would be caught up to and an even smaller chance the officers had been found yet anyway.

Evette awoke to the streaking ball of light and gasped at the yellow orange tinge that varnished her body like liquid gold. She bounded out of the car like a child with a new found energy and walked out into the empty road in the middle of nowhere, holding out her arms and feeling the sun paint her body with blessed light and warmth. Bucky jumped from his light sleep when the car door was opened and rushed out towards the girl before realising her incentive for scaring him half to death.

"Bucky!" She waved him over and he stood by her as she glazed herself in the golden sheen. He didn't stare down the road but only stared at her, her fragile frame that had broken because of him but yet somehow that smile on her face made him forgive himself; because every time she had told him that it wasn't his doing, he believed her.

Because she was no deceiver in his eyes.

She took his hand in her own before disconnecting them to lug off her jacket to reveal as much skin as she could. Bucky looked around in alarm at the thought of her revealing herself so publicly but thankfully, they were the only souls to grace the entire plain of land.
"Isn't it beautiful?" She muttered and Bucky turned to the sun, his hair greasy from lack of cleansing and his face pale from constant detainment.
"Yes." He sighed in amazement at the feeling of such gentle warmth.

"Bucky?" His eyes flashed open in worry but quickly noticed she was not alerting him to danger but trying to garner his attention. "I know you said no but-..."
"Your mother." He muttered as she moved closer toward him, his face now more sullen and cold.
"Please." She implored and Bucky moved back to the truck, sliding into the seat as Evette hesitantly followed.
"Get in." He deadpanned and Evette stopped at his rude tone.

"Do you want to see her or not?"