- relapse -

—☁︎︎—

Evette

Evette

Friday 30th August 1974 - 6:44am.

— WE REMAINED AT PEACE FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS, moving from place to place as hastily as we could whilst covering our tracks and not looking back at our pasts too often but when we did, it was fondly.

The sun streamed through the open window once again, the summer heat excruciating for the both of us as we sweltered beneath the thin duvet of the motel. I awoke to a stir and then a whimper before flashing my eyes open, as soon as Bucky's scream hit my eardrum.
"Bucky?" I whispered, jumping out of the bed and taking a step back away from him. He hadn't had a nightmare in my presence since those few weeks ago where I threw water on him and he ended up almost breaking my neck. Considering the last encounter with waking Bucky up from a nightmare, I elected to wait for it to pass, hoping it wouldn't cause as harmful ramifications as the former method I had used.

I waited for about 20 minutes and when Bucky finally awoke, he appeared to relapse into a completely different headspace. He reached into the nightstand and grabbed his gun, pointing it at me as I sat in the arm chair across the room.
"Bucky, Bucky it's me, it's Evette. I'm your friend." Bucky's head twitches as his eyes looked down as if to reconfigure his memories back into a mosaic that made sense to him.
"I don't know you." I was unsure what to do, but immediately gathered that talking to him would more likely save me than staying silent.
"Your name is James Buchanan Barnes, it's 1974 and me and you have been on the run together for the past 5 days from Hydra."
"Hydra?" He mutters as his gun skirts away from being in line with me. "You're not Hydra?" I shook my head before the man in front of me doubled over in pain, his gun toppling to the floor from loss of grip and his hands repositioning themselves on his head as if about to rip his hair out. Rushing to his side and grabbing his hands caused his attention to shift back to me and I was unsure whether that was good or bad.

"Breathe with me." I demanded as we breathed in unison to calm him down from his current attack, that I was still unsure could be labelled a 'panic attack' at all. He soon calmed down and seemed to remember it all within the time of a blink.
"Evette? I-..." I shushed him and pulled him into my arms, already aware that an apology was on his lips.
"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."
"Bucky, look at me I'm fine okay? One sorry is enough." I convinced and he nodded before pulling me onto his lap into an intimate hug.
"We need to pack up, it's time to move." I nodded to his instruction as I shuffled away from his grasp and we began to collect our things in silence, a wavering of awkwardness hanging over us from the prior situation. "Would you mind driving, my head is still ringing from-..."
"I was gonna offer anyway so yeah of course." The silence continued for awhile into the drive as neither one of us knew what to say.

"What happened in your nightmare Bucky?" I asked, curious to what had set off such an amplified reaction to a bad dream.
"You don't wanna know." He muttered against the window as he stared out at the barren surroundings.
"I wouldn't ask if I didn't nitwit, now tell me." He placed his elbow on the window sill of the door before sighing deeply into his hand.
"It was you, I was told to kill you." He turned his head back towards me. "And I did, without even realising." My face fell. "Yet, as soon as I pulled the trigger, I knew what I had done. I've never felt anything like it." He turned back around and faced the outside once again, attempting to hide the disturbance ridden across his face.
"It was just a dream Bucky, not a premonition with any truth to it whatsoever okay? A dream." I was confident in my answer because it was the most logical of truths.

But it felt like Bucky didn't seem so sure.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Friday 30th August 1974 - 8:05pm.

— DRIVING FOR THE ENTIRETY of the day had worn Evette down to her lowest point of energy and despite her resistance to Bucky taking over, she knew she couldn't go on for much longer. The two didn't speak since the earlier conversation about Bucky's nightmare which had drove him to temporary amnesia that almost caused him to actually kill Evette, much akin to the dream where he was tasked to do so. His thoughts didn't waver from the dream, the authenticity of it scaring his logical mind that had lost its imagination a long time ago. He had noticed Evette's droopy eyes as well as her late reactions to bumps in the road.

Bucky took another look out the window, the stark darkness in contrast with the brightness of the moon. Everything about the night was so picturesque that it looked like the image on a postcard, but it was far from ideal in the assassins eye. He couldn't see as much as he wanted to, despite his increased vision, and not being able to see as clearly in their situation was not a good thing. He tried to distract his mind from it all as he knew that if he spoke to Evette about it she would tell him they were safe but he knew they would never be safe, that was something he never wanted to tell her. Their life was to forever be on the run now, to move every few days and never find peace with one singular place. He didn't want that for Evette, not this ambitious woman who, before all of this, had everything going for her. She deserved solace, but now, they would never get it.

Bucky had had enough of Evette driving whilst she could barely keep her eyes focused and finally decided to intercept.

"Pull over and I'll drive." He commanded.
"I can go on for awhile longer-..."
"Evette, pull over." Bucky pressed.
"I will but just wait."
"No, now." He commanded and she elected to ignore him. "You're acting like a child." He muttered and Evette scoffed as she turned to look at him, glancing her eyes back at the road.

She suddenly screamed and swerved the car to the left and on impulse Bucky jumped on top of her to shield in case of bullets or any type of attack.

But there were no bullets, no attack and not a sound that had been made since she swerved.

Her eyes were unmoving as they faced forwards whilst her hands gripped the steering wheel. Bucky gently leant back and turned his head to face an empty road with nothing but darkness to cover it.
"What did you see?" He asked, coldly, his voice preparing for an onslaught.
Evette unbuckled her seat belt and opened the door to slide out from under the soldier. "Evette!" He called out, but her attention was completely withdrawn. Bucky manoeuvred out of the car and into the road where he saw the girl just standing and staring down in front of her as if listening to a shorter person.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Bucky..." she turned to face him.
"Did you say you had a sister?" He frowned.
"Why?" His voice was wary.

"Because shes standing right in front of you."

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your votes and comments because this is definitely the best fan fiction I have ever written in almost 3 years of doing so. It's super nice to know people like it! Thank you so much :)

A.