- colonel karpov -

—☁︎︎—

Evette

Evette

Wednesday 11th December 1991  - 8:09am

— IT HAD BEEN DECADES SINCE BUCKY AND I FIRST INTERACTED and despite my love for him, I'm sure anyone would understand why I had regrets. It was now the middle of fucking winter in 1991 and they had woken us up, again, for a 'very special mission' apparently. It was always a 'special mission' so God knows why this one was so different. I hadn't seen Pavlovíc thus far and had been awake and functioning for almost a day. The room we had always been prisoners to had begun to look nice as within our deal I had said I wanted to have certain things for the cell. Pavlovíc obliged, hardly seeing the harm in a clock with a calendar attached and a duvet for us to share on our new mattress which was made from something the Swedes called 'memory foam'. It was extremely pleasing to my aching bones. However, the majority of the decorations weren't just for indulgence but were an attempt to try and refresh Bucky's memory enough so he could come back to me. I hated the shell he was, his sadness had corrupted him right down to the bone and I didn't know how to help him apart from reminding him of his life before all of this. Perhaps he'd even remember our time together when he was himself, his real self. Speaking of which, I had just conceded to my new idea for something that had been toiling around for awhile that may enlighten his memory completely. However, I had a problem believing they would agree to acquire it for me as it almost seemed to obvious as to what I was trying to do.

The new guy, who was apparently now in charge, was also a real dick. Pavlovíc barely treated us like human beings but I think he recognised that we had needs that needed to be met; this douche however, basically ignored me. I had been dealing mostly with this other guard who was sort of the deputy sheriff around here called Dmitri. He was a huge burly man with a rough exterior and a gold front tooth, his Russian accent was extremely strong so I often just told him to speak in his native language as I understood that more, despite my ever decreasing knowledge of all my known vernaculars. Bucky didn't like him, he continuously said he was untrustworthy and that I shouldn't allow him to get any sort of attachment to me. It wasn't that I elected to ignore him but the guy seemed pretty stuck in his job, he was too deep in to leave now.

"Dmitri?" I called for quietly and he arrived at the gate looking only slightly older then the last time I saw him which must've been 3 years ago now. "I was wondering if you could get the boss down here, I want to make my request." He didn't speak before the very man I had asked for appeared in front of me.
"Evette, welcome back to the land of the living, here is the brief." He handed me the file through the bars. "Now, what is it that you want-..."
"A record player with two singles in specific: 'Rebel Rebel' by David Bowie and 'Hit the Road Jack' by Ray Charles. That's all." He sighed and tilted his head in thought before nodding telling Dmitri to get it all together by the end of tomorrow.
"Where is he?" I asked and the three men all turned back to face me, not immediately answering before the answer presented itself.