- swear by thy name -

—☁︎︎—

Evette

Evette.

— 'WHAT'S IN A NAME?'
To quote perhaps the most famous playwright in the world, what is truly in a name? In Shakespeare's belief they were meaningless, because a rose is still a rose without being called a rose if you catch my drift. Perhaps it's true, perhaps labels were useless and incoherent.

But in my opinion that was far from the truth.

I believe names hold something truly special that no one would be able to understand until it had been taken away from them; and Bucky was someone who could speak from experience. He didn't just have his name taken away from him, but everything that went with the name when people heard it. Handsome, kind, funny, chivalrous etc was all Bucky and it all came with his name, the name that had been stripped from his so diabolically.

So no I don't believe names mean nothing, in fact, I think they mean everything.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Sunday 11th August 1974 - 8:01am

— "BUCKY?" She said in confusion, Evette couldn't recall ever hearing that name before. Maybe it was a nickname, she thought, but pondered over what the original could be to have a nickname like Bucky.
"What'd you remember?" She said, guiding him by his shaking shoulders to the couch and sitting down beside him. "You were out for almost an hour, what'd you see?" He looked up to her his eyes fluttered from fatigue.

Bucky was in control.

"Steve... was my friend."
"As in Captain America Steve?" She said and he nodded, Bucky laughed.
"I made fun of him for that stupid outfit all the time, but in reality I wanted one too. The ladies seemed to like the spangly look." She chuckled and so did he. "My name is Bucky." He repeated to himself and it felt like the first time he kissed someone or the first time he rode in his dads automobile... it was more than nostalgic because he suddenly felt like himself again. He turned to her, tears in his eyes and pulled her into a bone crushing embrace, lifting her into air and leaning her on his leg.
"You did this... you bought me back." Evette smiled awkwardly, unsure of what to say because she didn't really do anything at all. She treated him like a human being I mean, that's hardly something to have her back broken in a hug for but she was glad he could remember.

"So you and cap were like... best buds?" She said and he nodded tilting his head in disbelief and staring at her eyes that were curious and virtuous about their intentions.
"You saved me." He said and she flapped her hand at him like it was nothing, suddenly his face fell. He turned his head to the door and not a second later it was slammed open. Evette moved away from Bucky and the man in question stood to attention, exercising his training and knowing full well what would happen if he didn't greet his superiors.

"Well done soldier." The man muttered as he stared at Evette like an alien and Bucky nodded discreetly, his eyes telling a story filled with fear that combatted with his usual scowl.
"You are not what I had expected."
"Well... expect the unexpected." Evette replied and flashed her eyes to Bucky, who didn't dare make a move.
"So your sharp-tongued reputation proceeds you." Evette didn't respond but just stared at him disapprovingly.
"There's been a slight change of plan, we're remaining in the States... for now... bring her." She looked over at Bucky in alarm at how he would react, soon that was answered.

Bucky remained as his alter ego and walked towards Evette to grab her arm, tugging her towards the door. She complied easily, not having to be told to leave the room but instead catching the obvious insinuation and leaving herself. Bucky quietly whispered in her ear in Russian, hoping she would understand where the officials would likely not. After all, they were Serbian not Russian.

"Do as they say for now and I will get you out of here." Evette discreetly nodded in understanding and nothing more was said between the two of them until they reached the docks where he managed to say something else when the other three men were distracted with loading the two cars with supplies of some sort.
"Compliance will buy you time." She nodded once again to show her comprehension and he pushed her toward the car they were to share with the apparent leader; this was most certainly to keep up his apathetic attitude.

Evette looked around and saw the city was still asleep, no one was near the docks when they left the house, nor the beach and even the streets were empty, the weekend was no doubt the cause for everyone's extra lay in time.
"Say... you are beautiful." The leader of the unit spoke from nowhere in a slimy toned drawl that was accented by his Serbian. The man was tall and somewhat emaciated, like the body of a ballerina but with all the grace of a flailing goose. When he walked he leaned forward like a hunchback and his neck curved when it hit his spine. The posture he displayed was nothing in comparison to Bucky's perfect poise that he maintained through his confident stride that only had one fault; that being his slight lean toward his left side because of the weight of his metal plated arm. Bucky had spent many a training session building his muscle on the alternative limb to combat with the off-balance weight distribution in his upper body.

"You want a picture or something?" She said, not holding back on the 'sharp-tongued reputation' comment and refusing to bow down perhaps in the way he had expected her too.
"I hate to be cliché but I like feisty." He replied with a sly smile.
"Why the hell do you think I care what you like?" She replied, deathly serious at his teasing of her.
"I don't think that but well... I've never seen a black girl I thought was almost pretty." She rolled her eyes and looked away, it was hardly the first time she had heard that type of backhanded compliment, the implications did not upset her but the use of it did. That type of ignorance was what she fought on the daily.

"It's time for you to sleep now anyway."