- sincere -

—☁︎︎—

Sunday 11th August 1974 - 6:43am

— SLEEP NEVER CAME TO HER. No matter the amount of sheep she counted (she reached almost 1,900) would remedy her restlessness and all because of some harsh words she had said to the man that had kidnapped her. It made no sense in her head, but for the first time in a long time she felt guilty for speaking her mind and it all felt necessary to remedy or God help her she wouldn't be able to open her eyes at all tomorrow. Her bruised up nose and now bruised up neck wouldn't allow her face to rest in the pillow like how she usually liked it as well, so maybe that was a contributing factor too. She sighed loudly and slowly got up, reaching for a handle in the air to help her up; but after a second of searching, found none, and instead channelled some strength to rise and force herself to walk back down into the lounge room. He stayed motionless on the sofa, gazing into the distance with no real objective of his eye line and his ears were obviously not as sharp at that moment in time as the creak of the floorboard didn't even make him flinch.

"Hey," she said and walked over, trying not to hold the ache in her neck to keep her head up. "I didn't mean what I said earlier, I kinda guess you can't help it." He didn't look towards her, he didn't have to for Evette to spy the tear streaming down his face. "Are you crying?" She asked and he turned to look at her, by that time it was obvious. His face at first was hostile but softened into upset when Evette stepped away from him as a defence.

"Shit I'm sorry-... I didn't mean to-... fuck." She realised her flinch and knew its purpose was to protect her but she also didn't respect it because the last thing she had wanted was to upset the guy.

She could only imagine he'd been through hell.

The soldier leant forward and placed his head in his hands before Evette took a brave step and placed her hand on his shoulder, the flesh encased one. His opposing hand snapped up to see her what she intended but noticed she only wished to touch him. His skin was hot, not dissimilar to that of a skin-covered teapot that had just been filled to the brim. She took notice of small scars dotted across his skin that were barely there and obviously had age to them. "Do you want-... a-... well a hug?"

The soldier glanced up at her before standing to face Evette head on, her arm gently rising with his shoulder before she awkwardly pulled his 6"0 muscle carved body into her embrace. His arms remained steady before she guided them to her waist and he adjusted to the awkward altercation. Somehow this tension faded away and all that was left was Evette's tear stained shirt and a pair of damaged goods sitting on the sofa.

"So what now? Wanna play eye spy?" The soldier almost chuckled but only felt more guilty when he saw her wince from the turn of her neck.
"I'm sorry-..."
"Don't say sorry, you can't stop and that's not your fault, it's those shitty Nazi's." She hesitated for a moment before allowing her mouth to do the work."You're not a Nazi are you because I can run home pull out a ten page essay as to why I can legally destroy you in a battle of wits for that." He finally laughed and Evette did too.
"I'm not... though I don't know what I believe in or am against... I've never been given-... what I mean is-..."
"Freedom of speech would be the first thing to take from someone you want to control I suppose." He nodded.

"What can I call you?"

She asked ever-so politely, almost scared she was speaking out of turn. The first time she asked for his name only two days ago he said he didn't remember, she wondered if there was any progress.
"I don't know." She looked away before surprisingly, and for the first time to Evette's memory he asked her a question. "What can I call you?"
"Well most people call me Eve or Evie, but I'm Evette in front of weirdos because it seems more threatening and tough apparently." She smiled and ran her hand through her hair that was drying out the more time went on without a wash. Her clothes were sweaty and disgusting and she didn't exactly have an option to change, her leather jacket was hardly functional.

"How long will I be here before they come for me?"
"One more day. I have to take you the docks unconscious and wait for them." He spoke mechanically and seemed to harden his stance at the reference of 'them'.
"How old are you?" Evette felt compelled to fill the silence, she gathered speaking about nothing too triggering would be the best way to do so.
"I'm not sure but... I'm older then I look I can imagine, they make me sleep." She furrowed her eyebrows.
"Huh?"
"They freeze me and make me sleep and wake me up when there's someone to kill or take. Then they wipe my mind." She didn't understand but could only imagine how awful it was, to have all of your memories and entire persona taken from you by force. Terrifying.

"I wish I could help." She muttered, her everlasting heroine complex showing itself, Evette always desired to be the saviour in a somewhat endearing way. "God I sound like I'm some sort of superhero: like Captain America or something." The soldier stood and mumbled something once again.
"What did you say?"
"Like Captain America or something."

A billion different memories flooded through the soldiers head but one in particular played on repeat and in the seconds he thought he was in this dreamscape seeing the same thing being repeated over and over, he was actually in it for almost an hour.

"Bucky!" James Buchanan Barnes watched Steve's face fade in the blizzard as he fell to his imminent death into the ravine down below. This repeated again and again.

"Hey?" Her voice faded in through the black and he noticed he was knelt on the ground with his hand out to keep her away.
"Did you have a panic attack or something?" She said and he only muttered one word in response.

"Bucky. My name is Bucky."